debugging bootloader

Hello!

I'm examining and researching the bootloader and would like to debug it in
order to watch the registers, memory condition etc. for understanding the
process more deeply and detailed.
Please, recommend any techiques for debugging bootloader code, I suppose I
can't use gdb for this, may be I need a kind of JTAG or similar.

Thanks in advance for any help!

With best regards, Roman Mashak.  E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

Re: debugging bootloader
Hello everybody!

:)
 I forgot to note, that I'm using eval. board  AMD Alchemy AU1550 w/ MIPS32
processor.

With best regards, Roman Mashak.  E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

Re: debugging bootloader

Yes, you will need a JTAG debugger; I recommend the Abatron  BDI2000.
Then you can also use GDB to attach to the BDI2000 ...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
You wrote  on Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:32:04 GMT:

 ??>> I'm examining and researching the bootloader and would like to debug
 ??>> it in order to watch the registers, memory condition etc. for
 ??>> understanding the process more deeply and detailed. Please, recommend
 ??>> any techiques for debugging bootloader code, I suppose I can't use gdb
 ??>> for this, may be I need a kind of JTAG or similar.

 WD> Yes, you will need a JTAG debugger; I recommend the Abatron  BDI2000.
    I've read its web-site and as far as I understood - Abatron has GNU
extension for GDB debugger which allows to BDM interface from GDB, right?
And normal GDB has no this capability.
 WD> Then you can also use GDB to attach to the BDI2000 ...
    It came our R&D lab already had JTAG debugger, it is  WindRiver's
visionICE II for MIPS (out platfrom is MIPS based). Is it possible to do
what I want with this device ?  Unfortunately I didn't have enough
experience before using JTAG emulator, so I would like to figure out now
what topic should I start to study first.

With best regards, Roman Mashak.  E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

Site Timeline