Debugging Atmel SAM7: Lauterbach or OpenOCD+Amontec JTAGkey?

Hi,

Just wondering if it is worth forking out for the Lauterbach debugger/ICE or to settle for something like OpenOCD + Amontec JTAGKey to debug an Atmel SAM7 MCU please?

Basically I'd like to be able to set breakpoints in my IDE (Eclipse or Xemacs) and if possible, view contents of registers/RAM etc.

Thanks very much. PretzelX.

Reply to
PretzelX

el

Use SAMIce! It is a Segger J-Link and well worth the money. AFAIK most (all?) SAM7 device do not provide trace signals, unlike the LPC2000. If you had a device with trace options Lauterbach may be well worth the money, after all it is the leading emulator.

An Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

The SAM-ICE is not supported by all toolchains. Don't think there is an Open-OCD driver for it and it is not supported under Linux AFAIK.

You first select the toolchain, and then you select your JTAG emulator based on this.

BDI2000 is a good emulator when running Linux.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks for your responses An & Ulf.