DAC Drivers

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to DAC. I am writing drivers for DAC. How should i start writing DAC drivers. I am having the DAC datasheet with me. I am able to find some details of the DAC. But if any one of you had a good experience in writing DAC drivers, give some idea how to start of and what are the things that are to be taken care of while writing drivers for DAC. Drivers in the sense how to write to the DAC and how to read from the DAC and how to reset the DAC. Hope you people understand my query. If i am not clear please let me know.

with regards, Chandra.

Reply to
Chandra

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to DAC. I am writing drivers for DAC. How should i start writing DAC drivers. I am having the DAC datasheet with me. I am able to find some details of the DAC. But if any one of you had a good experience in writing DAC drivers, give some idea how to start of and what are the things that are to be taken care of while writing drivers for DAC. Drivers in the sense how to write to the DAC and how to read from the DAC and how to reset the DAC. Hope you people understand my query. If i am not clear please let me know.

with regards, Chandra.

Reply to
Chandra

This all rather depends on what type of DAC it is. How do you access it - I2C, memory mapping, serial?

Think about:

1) What is the complete value you need to write to set the DAC? Just the data or does it need addresses and control codes as well? Do you need to set a chip select line or select a read or write? 2) How do you operate the method of writing to the DAC? Just a write to memory or perhaps sending a serial word? 3) How are you going to verify that the DAC was set correctly by your driver? Probably easiest to put a voltmeter on the output pin but maybe your circuit makes that difficult? 4) Do you really need to read from it? Can you read from it? Is the read method basically the same as the write?
Reply to
Tom Lucas

I want to say something good but in short.... Open the datasheet of the DAC you are using.. see the timing diagram and sample circuit for programming help and connection details respectively. Hope this helps :D

Regards, Ajay Bhargav

Reply to
Rickey

The DAC driver should provide the hardware independent interface to the DAC.

class DAC { foo(); bar(); bla_bla_bla; chu_chu_chu; do_something();

public: DAC(samplerate = INSTANTANEOUS_OUTPUT, buffering_depth = NO_BUFFERING); ~DAC(); BOOL PutSample(sample);

}

Vladimir Vassilevsky