Cypress PSOC 6

It has been a while since I looked at anything Cypress.  I have a couple of
 PSOC something sticks that were fun to play with a bit, but I never used t
he CPU for a project.  Now they have come out with a PSOC 6 with asymmetric
 dual processors, and M4 and a M0+ with an optional BLE radio and stack.  L
ooks like they are using the M0+ to control the BLE and the M4 is for user
code.  I think this could be an interesting Forth target.

There is a "PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit", part number CY8CKIT-062-BLE, using the
 CY8C6347BZI-BLD53 which has the BLE but not the programmable logic blocks.
  Darn!  I don't get why they wouldn't have used the device with the most c
apability.  But the parts are new, so maybe that one isn't out yet.  Yeah,
no pricing available for it.  Oh well.  I expect I can play with the tools
to see what the programmable blocks can do.  Last time I used their tools t
hough, they tried to isolate you from any details which I don't care for.
We'll see.

This kit uses a USB-C connector to connect to the host.  I think they wante
d to promote their USB-C chip.  They provide an adapter cable, so that's go
od, but now I have to keep track of this one cable!

The kit also comes with an e-Ink display which is the real reason why I wan
t this.  I've been wanting to play with one for some time to measure how mu
ch energy is required to update the display.  Details like this are hard to
 find and there are modes where a portion of the display can be updated to
save on energy use.  Lots of experimenting to do!

Rick C.

Re: Cypress PSOC 6
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 12:44:23 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro
te:
of PSOC something sticks that were fun to play with a bit, but I never used
 the CPU for a project.  Now they have come out with a PSOC 6 with asymmetr
ic dual processors, and M4 and a M0+ with an optional BLE radio and stack.
 Looks like they are using the M0+ to control the BLE and the M4 is for use
r code.  I think this could be an interesting Forth target.
he CY8C6347BZI-BLD53

Seems I got myself confused over the part number.  They say to use one part
 number in PSOC Creator but a different part number is used on the board.
Further that part number leaves out the speed indicator so I thought it was
 invalid.  But it seems to be reported elsewhere such as in the OpenOCD fil
es so it must be right.  The PN they say to use in their tools is CY8C6347B
ZI-BLD53, but the true part number is CY8C637BZI-BLD74 which appears to be
a fully featured part.  I expect this is a PN for an early release part jus
t for evaluation since it doesn't show in the data sheets.

Rick C.

Re: Cypress PSOC 6

Generally the deal with Cypress parts is they're all the same silicon, they
just run a 'supervisor ROM' that turns off various features to suit the price
point.  I wouldn't be surprised if this shows through occasionally.

http://dmitry.gr/index.php?r05%.Projects&proj23%.%20PSoC4

Theo

Re: Cypress PSOC 6
in
4
ey
rice

This is one of the most interesting things I've read on embedded processors
 in a while.  I am not surprised they use a single die for multiple devices
, even the FPGA manufacturers have done that.  But I am surprised the disab
ling is done via software and that a rootkit can be implanted.  So even you
r toaster is subject to viruses!?

Rick C.

Site Timeline