cygwin, win2k, binutils

I installed the current cygwin to c:\cygwin.

I followed some directions to build binutils from

although I am using the current sources. I'm trying to get an ARM cross compiler / assembler working by building them from source code on win2k.

I then tried to run the following:

$ cd build-binutils $ ../binutils-2.14/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX

After running this command I get the following:

loading cache ./config.cache checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin checking target system type... arm-unknown-elf checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin cc: not found

*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed. *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I've never used cygwin before. I don't know which cc I'm supposed to use or where to get it. It doesn't seem to be included with cygwin (at least the "default" installation).

What am I doing wrong?

thanks, William

Reply to
William Wuister

Haven't tried it, but can you try to set environment variable CC to gcc ?

set CC=gcc or export CC=gcc

Greetings,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

I don't have gcc. Does that need to be part of cygwin's installation or do I get that from somewhere else?

William

Reply to
William Wuister

You might want to take a glance at Lewin's book "Embedded System Design on a Shoestring" (ISBN 0-7506-7609-4) which goes in detail through all the steps necessary to get an ARM toolchain up and running under Cygwin (and Linux too, naturally). The CD that comes with it includes all the necessary software.

#disclaimer: Just a satisfied customer.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I'll order that book. I realized that the "default" installation of cygwin did not include development tools. So, I installed that package and was able to compile the hello.c example from the web site that I mentioned. I'll probably compile on my linux machine later, but it's nice to be able to compile ARM code in windows as well.

thanks again, William

Reply to
William Wuister

Quite recently, RedHat changed the default install of Cygwin to NOT include native compiler toolchain. Reinstall and select everything; note that it takes a VERY VERY long time to select all, and you will probably run into a bug in the installer when you do this. If the installer appears to do nothing and report a server failure, go BACK (without exiting the installer) and choose a different FTP mirror. This bug is a timeout connecting to the download server when you have to select many many items in the install options dialog.

(I have no idea why it takes so damn long to check a couple of boxes. But it can take one or two minutes for the installer to respond to checking a full install; verifying dependencies, I guess).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I think you are right about the dependency checking - cygwin is pretty good at that as far as I can tell. This means that you certainly don't need to select everything - that would give a *very* big installation. Simply select "gcc", and the setup program will automatically select binutils and anything else needed.

Reply to
David Brown

You did not load the full Cygwin package.

Load the Cygwin program development packages in the same way as the basic installation was done - the installer knows how.

HTH

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

It's still a mystery why it takes so long. It literally takes 30-120 seconds. Given the tiny size of the files that have been downloaded at that point, the only way that searching/comparing this information could possibly take so long is if an unbelievably bogus algorithm is being used.

At the point where RH decided that gcc wasn't worth default inclusion, I figured that there was a good chance that other utilities I use/require regularly were also removed. So to be safe and avoid yet more trial and error experimentation, I select all.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

good

It doesn't feel so slow for me, but maybe we have different speeds of PC. But I agree that it shouldn't take so long for dependency checking, even on an older PC.

What bugs me far more about the setup program is the tiny window, with daft defaults for column widths in the package selection. Depending on the graphics toolkit they used, it may be hard to make the box resizeable, but they could easily make it bigger!

and

I also have everything selected (I've got the disk space, and I've got the internet bandwidth, and occasionally I do use X or postgresql or whatever). But when someone only wants gcc in addition to the base, then selecting everything is going to be hundreds of megs of extra downloads and diskspace that they could well do without. I'd recommend picking only gcc and trying that - if it does turn out that something else is missing, then trial and error will be far faster than downloading everything.

Reply to
David Brown