Cygwin HOME directory on Win XP

Hi all,

Sorry for the repeat post (there are other questions that sort of address this) but I could use someone who has experience here. I have Cygwin installed on my Windows XP workstation (laptop actually). My (Win XP) HOMEDRIVE environment variable is set to C: and my HOMEPATH is "\Documents and Settings\agherna.UIUC". Whenever I lauch Cygwin (usu. through 'bash --login -i'), Cygwin thinks my HOME directory should be set to /usr/bin"C:/Documents and Settings/agherna.UIUC". Any ideas as to why /usr/bin is pre-pended to the HOME?? If I could get around that, I think I can fix whatever else is wrong using other information. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Andy snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu

Reply to
argherna

No idea, but what I always do with cygwin is to set HOME in my environment to point to C:\Documents and Settings\cjh\My Documents That makes bash start in your My Documents directory. It seems really pointless of cygwin to create a home directory of its own instead of using the user's My Documents.

I also delete the stupid "bash" icon and make a direct shortcut to "bash.exe --login -i", which avoids the question when you exit from bash. Copy the icon from the desktop to the quick-start bar.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I think my problem has to do with having the . in my user id (agherna.UIUC). It's this way because I have 2 ids on my machine: one is agherna that's for the local machine and the other is part of the UIUC domain. Has anyone been able to find a way to cope with the . in the user id?

Reply to
argherna

I have a . in my username (login name.domain) and Cygwin works fine. I start it with the shortcut in my Start menu, which runs cygwin.bat. I've not touched anything - was set up that way by Cygwin installer. Contents of this file are:

@echo off

C: chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

When I start Cygwin I am in folder ~, which when doing pwd, shows:

David Hearn@ ~ $ pwd /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/David Hearn.

David Hearn

If I understood your problem ... I have set HOME user variable in system Environment Variables to %USERPROFILE% Try it :)

--
pozdrawiam serdecznie
medenes

Ups ... sorry

--
Regards from Poland
medenes

Could you post your entry from your /etc/passwd file (or send it to me)?

David Hearn wrote:

Reply to
argherna

Ok, that seemed to help, but I also noticed that my %HOME% environment variable was surrounded by quotes. Removing those corrected the problem. Thank you one and all for your help.

Reply to
argherna