custom software for mobile phones

Hi all,

I'm an experienced embedded software developer but know very little about mobile phones and am hoping someone out there might be able give me a quick answer and/or point me in the right direction to some online resources and save me a lot of web fumbling.

Came up with a product idea over beers with some workmates the other day that technically would require customisation of a mobile phones UI/user functionality. The thing is that the business model would dictate that the product would probably have to be based on low end cheap-and-cheerful phones rather than all singing and dancing symbian/wince/java enabled/etc.etc smartphones.

So what I want to know is how realistic is it for a small backyard operation to customise S/W for a low end phone?

Thanks

Richard.

Reply to
richardlang

You might be better off using something like the Siemens MC55 GSM module. You can interface it to any MCU and do your own thing with it. They cost 68 GBP in the UK, from TDC. I'm using them with a GPS module for a vehicle tracking system I'm designing for a client.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

UI's for mobiles are already customised by the manufactures as each of the networks requires its own thing or it won't buy that phone.

This customisation is now probably the largest single function that a handset manufacturer does as most of the rest is integrating bought in components that can be done with a few dozen people per function.

When it comes to network customisation, some manufactures might have 2-300 people working on configuring their phones for the various networks (some might say this number is excessive because they haven't optimised their interface for this task, I couldn't possibly say).

So I would say, no this isn't something that a small company could do.

tim

Reply to
tim (back in SY)

Here's an open source project for a mobile phone. I don't know what stage they're at because I can't read the web page.

D**m small fonts...

Try googling for "open-source mobile phone". There's quite a few hits.

Reply to
dmm

In message , dmm

Using IE? Hold CTRL and scroll the font size up or down with the scroll wheel on your mouse...

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Wow, thanks for that tip Clint.