CSA

the manual of my TriCore DSP mentions the "Context Save Area"
(CSA) in the context of CALL instructions.

I used google but could not find any appropriate description
of CSA.

Could you explain to me what CSA exactly is and how it is
involved into a CALL instruction?

Thank you.
Chris

Re: CSA

Did you read documentation?
The CSA is the area in memory where processor can store his context.
This area may consists of cpu registers, i.e: a0..a15, d0..d15, pcxi,
psw, pc, etc. The cpu stores his registers in that area during the
context switching - for example during calling subroutine or in
multitasking environment (task switching).

Sorry for my english :-)

user

Re: CSA

The CSA is the area in memory where processor can store his context.
This area may consists of cpu registers, i.e: a0..a15, d0..d15, pcxi,
psw, pc, etc. The cpu stores his registers in that area during the
context switching - for example during calling subroutine or in
multitasking environment (task switching).

The CSA is organized as a list.
AFAIR there is some register which points to the last free entry
in CSA. When the CALL instruction is executing the CPU stores his
"old" context (context of calling function) in the next free CSA
area.
When cpu will be leaving called subroutine he will automatically
restore his "old" context, so after exit from calling procedure
- cpu registers will contain "old" values.

Sorry for my english :)
I hope, I'm not complicated this description so much...

user

Re: CSA

Thank you very much for your answer. It helped me a lot.
I had no problems with your English ;)

Site Timeline