CS8900 question

In our new project we want to use cs8900 in the 8bit mode with a 16bit uC (infineon C166).

We would like to use this chip, because this is on the Keil Eval board and widely used.

Now I am reading the chip has some issues. The interrupt stops suddenly. And that there are some workarounds.

So is there a reliable driver library for this chip? Should I better use an other? Which?

Any comments?

Adib.

Reply to
Adib Taraben

Zilog eZ80F91. Much more power and less hazzle.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

From what I know, the issue with lost interrupts applies only to 8 bit mode of operation. You either poll the chip in a loop, or then switch to using 16 bit mode of operation. Apart from this I would not be aware of any other issues. Actually I'm using this chip in 16 bit mode in one of my designs using a renesas M16C which is quite similar to the C166 you use so doing this seems feasable to me.

To get an idea of how to use the chip I recommend takeing a close look at the slaa137 application note from TI. You find it here:

If memory serves, the app note uses the chip in 8 bit mode but apart from this said app note should give you a quick start into the topic.

I also found the datasheet and some aditionally available information from crystal quite instructive :-)

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg