CS8900 dev boards

Hi folks,

We are contemplating using a CS8900 ethernet MAC/PHY chip in a project (interfacing to an FPGA-based soft-core processor). To speed things up, we would like to prototype first on a ready-made dev board.

The problem: All the dev boards we have found so far (e.g. embeddedethernet.com, edtp.com) seem to force using the device in 8 bit mode. However, Cirrus state that interrupts are not supported in this configuration. Polling is not really an acceptable option for us.

So, can anybody recommend a CS8900 proto-board that supports the 16 bit mode (and thus interrupts)? Basically we just need a board that contains the RJ45, magnetics and other passives, the CS8900 itself and a header to get the interface signals to our FPGA-board.

Thanks in advance,

John

Reply to
John Williams

We dropped the CS8900 and went with the RTL8019AS about 3 years ago. The CS8900 board would probably work fine for what you want. We may have a few left. Contact snipped-for-privacy@jkmicro.com

Reply to
Jim Stewart

A number of years ago I bought a package from a Cirrus distributor that consisted of two ISA boards. One was very basic, CS8900, EEPROM, and 10base-T magnetics. The other had 10base-2 and AUI interfaces plus extended addressing. Not sure if these are still available, but it's pretty easy to plug into an ISA 16 bit socket and use it for prototyping, I connected it to a 16 bit DSP chip.

Reply to
Robert Reimiller

Just thought of another. I bought a couple of these boards:

Intending them to be used on an 8 bit bus. Unfortunately, due to a PC board layout error on the board, you can't use them in 8 bit mode, only 16 bit, so these would be a much cheaper option.

Reply to
Robert Reimiller

Can you elaborate on your reasons for dropping the CS8900? 3.3V tolerance is something we need - Realtek don't seem to have a 3.3V version of their ISA-bus device (the 8019).

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

The RTL8019AS is NE2000 compatible, an important feature in the DOS-compatible market. It is about 1/3 the price, even more important.

We also had some problems with the CS8900 and noise and/or reflections on the WR/ line. The problem seemed dependant on the stepping of the part and we just thought it would be easier and cheaper to switch. The RTL part has worked very well.

As to your problem, I was looking though the bone yard this morning and found the empty box to the CS8900 dev kit we got from Crystal. So the ISA card is around somewhere and if I find it, I'll let you know.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Check out

They have a board with the ASIX MAC/PHY(which is

3.3V) and 16 bit interface. They also have a CS8900 board but I think only 8 bits are brought out, although I'm not sure so check it out.

Frank

Reply to
F. DeLuca

If it's within budget, check out the ASIX 10/100 NE2000. We've been pleased with it so far. As noted, edtp.com is a good resource for ASIX proto boards.

In Qty25, they are $7 ea. from ASIX.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

F. DeLuca wrote: : Check out

They have a board with the ASIX MAC/PHY(which is : 3.3V) and 16 bit interface. They also have a CS8900 board but I think only : 8 bits are brought out, although I'm not sure so check it out.

: Frank

has the 3.3v version and all 16 bits are brought out.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at)  (dot) com