CS8900 dev boards

Hi folks,

We are contemplating using a CS8900 ethernet MAC/PHY chip in a project
(interfacing to an FPGA-based soft-core processor).  To speed things up,
we would like to prototype first on a ready-made dev board.

The problem:  All the dev boards we have found so far (e.g.
embeddedethernet.com, edtp.com) seem to force using the device in 8 bit
mode.  However, Cirrus state that interrupts are not supported in this
configuration.  Polling is not really an acceptable option for us.

So, can anybody recommend a CS8900 proto-board that supports the 16 bit
mode (and thus interrupts)?  Basically we just need a board that
contains the RJ45, magnetics and other passives, the CS8900 itself and a
header to get the interface signals to our FPGA-board.

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: CS8900 dev boards

We dropped the CS8900 and went with the RTL8019AS about 3 years
ago.  The CS8900 board would probably work fine for what you
want.  We may have a few left.  Contact snipped-for-privacy@jkmicro.com

Re: CS8900 dev boards
Hi Jim,

Can you elaborate on your reasons for dropping the CS8900?  3.3V
tolerance is something we need - Realtek don't seem to have a 3.3V
version of their ISA-bus device (the 8019).

Regards,

John

Re: CS8900 dev boards

The RTL8019AS is NE2000 compatible, an important
feature in the DOS-compatible market.  It is
about 1/3 the price, even more important.

We also had some problems with the CS8900 and noise
and/or reflections on the WR/ line.  The problem
seemed dependant on the stepping of the part and
we just thought it would be easier and cheaper to
switch.  The RTL part has worked very well.

As to your problem, I was looking though the bone
yard this morning and found the empty box to the
CS8900 dev kit we got from Crystal.  So the ISA
card is around somewhere and if I find it, I'll
let you know.

Re: CS8900 dev boards

If it's within budget, check out the ASIX 10/100 NE2000.  We've been
pleased with it so far.  As noted, edtp.com is a good resource for ASIX
proto boards.

In Qty25, they are $7 ea. from ASIX.

Richard

Re: CS8900 dev boards

A number of years ago I bought a package from a Cirrus distributor
that consisted of two ISA boards. One was very basic, CS8900, EEPROM,
and 10base-T magnetics. The other had 10base-2 and AUI interfaces plus
extended addressing. Not sure if these are still available, but it's
pretty easy to plug into an ISA 16 bit socket and use it for
prototyping, I connected it to a 16 bit DSP chip.

Re: CS8900 dev boards

Just thought of another. I bought a couple of these boards:

http://www.phytec.com/addon/eth16.htm

Intending them to be used on an 8 bit bus. Unfortunately, due to
a PC board layout error on the board, you can't use them in 8 bit mode,
only 16 bit, so these would be a much cheaper option.

Re: CS8900 dev boards
Check out www.edtp.com.  They have a board with the ASIX MAC/PHY(which is
3.3V) and 16 bit interface.  They also have a CS8900 board but I think only
8 bits are brought out, although I'm not sure so check it out.

Frank

www.edtp.com has the 3.3v version and all 16 bits are brought out.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at) <initials of company> (dot) com

Site Timeline