creating an embedded server

Hi Group, I have a few questions about creating a custom device connected to the internet. The device will have two primary functions

1) act as an embedded (dynamic) web server with the ability to download new html code remotely 2) act as a conduit to a microcontroller where TCP/IP packets can be sent and received with a simple protocol riding on top to control stuff (say switches and lights for arguements sake) Interface to microcontroller could be parallel, SPI or RS232.

The device would act as one or the other and sometimes both. At this point there is no particular requirement for amount of html code, speed, cost, security etc. I have a Coldfire development kit and have the option of writing the code from scratch based on PD tcp/ip routines but I don't want to spent months creating the ability to download dynamic web pages remotely. I have also looked at some devices like the Digi connect ME or XPort devices. It would appear that they would make a good stand alone web server but it is not clear if they are restrictive in terms of sending raw tcp/ip packets. I also don't know if I can download web pages remotely to these devices. I can provide more details if this description is too generic but I also don't want to make this post too lengthy. Basically I am looking for any advice concerning off-the-shelf modules vs. writing the code from scratch and pros and cons of each. Thanks, Max

Reply to
Max

Have you considered running either

uClinux

or

RTEMS

On your coldfire board.

  • both are open source / free
  • support coldfire
  • can run an embedded web server.

You would need to run very little code to get this up and running.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Whitfield

Op Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:41:18 +0100 schreef Max :

Why not run it all on one microcontroller?

If you have a good RTOS this is very trivial to write.

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

I have looked a little at uClinus because it is available for the Coldfire as you suggest but I don't have any experience with Linux. I am not against the idea of spending some time learning if there is good reason to. My experience with getting GCC running on the coldfire chip was not very pleasant so I tend to be a little hesitant of some open source systems. (this is not meant as a flame provoker, just my personal experience) I guess the question is, is it better to spend a month or two developing code under these types of systems or easier/cheaper/faster to buy a stack-on-a-chip? After doing some more research into the Lantronixs XPort device it would appear to be fairly limited in the control that is given to the host processor. More like a RS232 conduit with web server ability.

Max

See

for a nice embedded web server...

Reply to
Mr_D

buggy

--
I really have no idea what this means. And since I can't install linux on
it, I'm gonna go back to surfing pr0n.

I've been using it for 5+ years and only found one bug having to do with select/fdsets, and one bug with pathnames. I don't think that's too bad.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Pardon me, but do you
                                  at               know what it means to be
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Maybe take a look at the Rabbit modules. They're cheap, and come with a royalty-free TCP/IP library. Getting a dynamic web server up and running took me about 20mins - there's one in the code samples provided ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees