Creating a cheap wireless "server" with BSD.

Sorry for the multi-post. I first posted this to comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, and then thought that I might want a larger audience. So then I posted to comp.arch, and someone there suggested that THIS group would be the appropriate place to post my questions.

--- Original Message Follows --- 'd like to try to create a cheap, small, wireless "server" with BSD/Linux. I'm not sure where I want to start, but I'm not opposed to soldering individual components, and I'm not opposed to hacking code (Its my profession after all).

If possible, I'd like to design something that cost less than (hopefully) $100, and has WiFi support. I'll want enough capability to SSH into it, perhaps server some small files over HTTP (perhaps using php). It would be a bonus if I didn't have to cross-compile programs on a seperate computer to get them working on this box.

So, my guess as to what I need: WiFi component Power Supply (preferably solar powered or AA powered, but can do wired if I absolutely have to) Processor (cheapest possible with enough speed for what I need) Memory (again, cheapest possible with enough for what I need) Storage (you guest it, cheap but enough. I'm thinking 1 gig flash drive should be enough) Some way to connect for installation and maintenance.

Anyone have some starting points I can look at? The WiFi access doesn't have to be secured, nothing important will be transmitted unencrypted anyway.

Am I high thinking I can do this in less that $100? If so, what is a more reasonable estimate? Price is one of my main driving factors.

DD,

P.S. I don't get e-mail at the address I'm posting at, please reply here.

Reply to
Droopy Dog

For under $100, you probably should look at hacking a Linksys router to run an enhanced version of the Linux OS. This should help get you started:

Anthony Fremont

started:

I'll check that out, although I was hoping for something small and relatively low-power. I would love this to be solar powered.

Again, I don't mind soldering things myself, or rewriting large portions of source code.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Droopy Dog

Gumstix maybe? That doesn't meet your price target once you include WiFi but it's getting there.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Please see my 'zipit' pages at:

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

This looks like a place to start, but it is a little more expensive that I was hoping for. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe find something on ebay :-). I was confused about how to set it up though. Is there a way to hook it up to a display to log in and set up?

Reply to
Droopy Dog

That looks like a possible route for me to take... Do you have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to add solar powering to this device? Also, I didn't get a good feel for the size from what I found online, I'm hoping it can be something on the small side. (Something closer to the Gumstix computers).

On the plus side, it looks like I can get a zipit for $40 at Circuit City online.

Reply to
Droopy Dog

I've not used it but I think I've seen reference to standard serial (or USB serial) terminal style interface.

It's a product I keep in mind for the eventuality I need something like it.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Operating power consumption varies around 200mw, and of course radio activity affects power drain the most; input voltage is 5vdc.

Also, I didn't get a good feel for the size from what I found

It fits comfortably in the average shirt pocket ;)

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Yep -- a Linksys WRT-54G running DD-WRT partially fills the requirement.

+====================================+ I hate junk email. Please direct any genuine email to: kenlee at hotpop.com
Reply to
Ken Lee