Costs for building a custom Pentium 4 or Athlon64 board

Does anyone have experience with building modern processor boards?

I want to remove the uncertainties (primarily long term availability)
with using COTS boards in my system, and also to reduce the design from
two boards (motherboard + "special sauce" board to a single, combined,
board.

An Intel socket 775 P4 board that does what I need it to (from a
processor and PCI Express bus perspective), today, costs $80.  If I can
build it for 2x that, and include my sauce, it will be worth it.

High speed digital design and tight constraints PCBs I can handle.
Very good design guys here.

What hurdles do you think I will hit going this route?

I have heard chipset availability for the little guy (1K units/qtr) can
tough.

I have heard that processor sockets are v.expensive, again for the
little guy.

BIOS I'm not worried about.  General Software, Inc. looks good.

I know this group is primarily microcontrollers, but I hope there's
someone out there with "big processor" experience too.

Thanks,
Paul.

P.S. 3GHz class P4 or Athlon64 is a hard requirement, so I'm not
looking for alternate "embedded x86" or PowerPC type advice (although
other people may find such advice useful, so go ahead!)

Re: Costs for building a custom Pentium 4 or Athlon64 board

I am not so sure that this will remove the long term availability
uncertainty.  What do you do when the chipsets or microprocessors
become unavailable?

You could stock up on those parts, but the total cost would likely
be less if you opicked a COTS board and stocked up on that instead.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/

Re: Costs for building a custom Pentium 4 or Athlon64 board

Commell design and produce custom boards. I know one company that had
them do the same thing, integrating a custom board into a single
mainboard. http://www.commell.com.tw /