Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides

Hi everyone. I am trying to cost out a product and was wondering if anybody knew the approximate cost of assembly for a PCB with ICs on both sides. The top side has TQFP-100, QFP-64, 1 connector, and various discretes. The bottom side has 1 SOIC-56 and various discretes. The board itself is about 4x6 inches. Sorry to have to ask. I am new to the manufacturing side of electronics and it is really quite difficult. Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hi,

I have only dealt with small quantities ( 1 placement pass + 1 wavesolder pass Through hole with SMT on top only -> 1 or 2 placment passes + 1 wavesolder pass + 1 reflow pass Through hole with "big" SMT on bottom -> 2 placement passes + 1 wavesolder pass. etc.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Call your assembly house - I would guess that if you use glue dots on the bigger IC's, you can get away with one pass. I used to cost out about 15 cents for placement/verification on a discrete, and 50 cents for an IC, but these figures were used as a round figure at a captive assembly facility. If you assemble at a high end shop, they are more expensive, in China, way cheap. Any good assembly house should be able to give you a cost in a day or so that would include volumes and how to panelize the board.

Andrew

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

side

and

You forgot to mention how many layers on the board, but in small quantities I'm guessing your cost would be $60 to $70 each. You didn't mention if you are silkscreening one or both sides of the boards, and what the material the board is fabricated from. These and many other factors will move the price per piece up or down depending on if you include them or not. My advice to you is read a tutorial on printed circuit board (or printed wiring board) fabrication. Or consult with someone in your company

Reply to
Bob F.

Chris, To get an answer you will need to know what the quantities are, what the number of layers is, is testing required, and probably about a dozen or more other questions will need to be answered. Layers, testing, and quantity will get you fairly close. As you can see, quoting a PCB assy is an art form. I would recomend getting a few quotes from different assemblers. Some will give you a rough order of magnitude number if you ask nicely.

Theron Hicks

side

and

Reply to
Theron Hicks

You haven't supplied enough information.

How many parts? Is there through-hole components on one or both sides? What quantity of boards will you assemble at a time?

Tooling and ECO's get expensive with components on both sides. Two sides mean 2 paste masks. With this size board you can put the top and bottem paste masks on the same physical stencil.

Through hole components on a 2-sided board means you need a solder pallet. It's a mask that covers the SMT parts while the through hole gets wave-soldered.

Reply to
Jim Stewart