Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides

Hi everyone.
I am trying to cost out a product and was wondering if anybody knew the
approximate cost of assembly for a PCB with ICs on both sides. The top side
has TQFP-100, QFP-64, 1 connector, and various discretes. The bottom side
has 1 SOIC-56 and various discretes. The board itself is about 4x6 inches.
Sorry to have to ask. I am new to the manufacturing side of electronics and
it is really quite difficult.
Chris

Re: Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:41:50 +0900, "Chris"

I have only dealt with small quantities (<100). My experience is that
it more than doubles the assembly cost to have components on both
sides. It depends on the number of processes the board has to go
through.  Roughly :

Through hole components only -> 1 placement pass + 1 wavesolder pass
Through hole with SMT on top only -> 1 or 2 placment passes + 1
wavesolder pass + 1 reflow pass
Through hole with "big"  SMT on bottom -> 2 placement passes + 1
wavesolder pass.
etc.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides
Call your assembly house - I would guess that if you use glue dots on
the bigger IC's, you can get away with one pass. I used to cost out
about 15 cents for placement/verification on a discrete, and 50 cents
for an IC, but these figures were used as a round figure at a captive
assembly facility.  If you assemble at a high end shop, they are more
expensive, in China, way cheap.  Any good assembly house should be able
to give you a cost in a day or so that would include volumes and how to
panelize the board.

Andrew

Re: Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides
side
and

You forgot to mention how many layers on the board, but in small quantities
I'm guessing your cost would be $60 to $70 each.
You didn't mention if you are silkscreening one or both sides of the boards,
and what the material the board is fabricated from.  These and many other
factors will move the price per piece up or down depending on if you include
them or not.  My advice to you is read a tutorial on printed circuit board
(or printed wiring board) fabrication.  Or consult with someone in your
company

Re: Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides
Chris,
    To get an answer you will need to know what the quantities are, what the
number of layers is, is testing required, and probably about a dozen or more
other questions will need to be answered.  Layers, testing, and quantity
will get you fairly close.
    As you can see, quoting a PCB assy is an art form.  I would recomend
getting a few quotes from different assemblers.  Some will give you a rough
order of magnitude number if you ask nicely.

Theron Hicks

Theron
side
and

Re: Cost of electronics assembly with ICs on both sides

You haven't supplied enough information.

How many parts?
Is there through-hole components on one or both sides?
What quantity of boards will you assemble at a time?

Tooling and ECO's get expensive with components on
both sides.  Two sides mean 2 paste masks.  With
this size board you can put the top and bottem paste
masks on the same physical stencil.

Through hole components on a 2-sided board means
you need a solder pallet.  It's a mask that covers
the SMT parts while the through hole gets wave-soldered.

Site Timeline