Cost analysis for Embedded Linux?

Hi all,

Am working on a project that aims to device an Embedded System which has serial input and GPRS output.

Like this

Serial data ====> Embedded System (using GPRS modem) ===> UDP/TCP to internet cloud. (Input) (Processing) (Output)

This has to be very very cost effective hence. my question is

Is there a Embedded Linux Distribution that has support for GPRS drivers and charges the minimum for commercial development (OS+ Deveopment Tools) for three developers MAX.

the linux distribution that does charges nothing/ negligible as run- time royalty/unit.

or is there a link you can provide that gives me these data. I did try my best with google but dint give me a proper answer.

Thanks in Advance,

Reply to
a_simple_code

Dan N

Thanks Dan but i don't want the Hardware Details. Just the Cost analysis of OS + Development Tools + RunTime royalty/unit (if any).

For example with windows it goes like this

*OS + Development Tools (WinCE + Platform Builder) = $995 *Runtime Royalty = $3/Unit. *Free Support for 5 years.

Am sure Linux should have much better answer than the above but just could on find it, thats why seeking you people's help.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
a_simple_code

With Linux, it goes like this

- OS + Development tools = $0 (*)

- Runtime royalty = $0 / Unit (**)

- Free support forever = $0 (***)

(*) The Linux operating system and most of the available userspace software are 'free for use under the GPL licence. The required tools are mainly an editor, (cross)compiler and debugger, all available under the same license.

(**) No ryalties involved. really.

(***) 'Free' support is something you can get from the community. Newsgroups, mailinglists, irc, etc. There's no toll-free 24/7 number you can call though, so you're on your own every now and then.

Reply to
Philippe

Thanks Phillippe, Well great. If i consider uClinux which is open source and if i develop this project with help of some other open source Development Tool as well then Can i commercially sell it(Embedded System) without publishing the code along?

Do you know any such distribution that has Drivers for GPRS modem?

Thanks in Advance,

Reply to
a_simple_code

Which modem? What interface (RS232, CF, USB or BT)?

Reply to
linnix

Modem's Model isnt been decided yet but the interface is going to be PCI-Slot modem that can be fixed on the board.

Reply to
a_simple_code

GPRS is a few AT commands.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Ask your lawyer.

The general rule of thumb is that for any (existing) project under the GPL license that you modify, you have to make available the _modified_ source code. It is also considered good practice to contact the original developers and to offer them to include your modifications straight into the official distribution, but it's not mandatory IIRC. And nothing prevents you from selling the product, if you abide to the rules of the GPL.

OTOH, if you develop an application on top of an open-source stack (let's say as an X-based control interface for your embedded system), as long as you don't modify existing libraries or such but simply use them, you're pretty much free to chose whichever licence you want for your own code. You still have to make available the source code of the GPL products you ship as a part of your product, including adapted Makefiles to get them to compile to your target, but that wouldn't disclose any trade secret (presumably).

When it comes to dev tools (GCC and such), use them as much as you want for your project. I don't know of any usage limitation.

Remember that this is just my opinion and a very short overview, and I am

*not* a lawyer. _Ask your lawyer!_ (And read the GPL a dozen times to get it to sink in.)

Regards, D.

Reply to
D.

I would be interested to know the driver for choosing Linux. Can you provide more information on the application? So far we know you want to receive serial data and write to a GPRS modem with the lowest cost development system and run time cost - an 8051 would seem to fit the bill so far ;-) but not with Linux or a PCI modem. naturally......

--
Regards,
Richard.

Hi,

If You need just to collect data from serial port and sent it over GPRS You can do everything inside GSM module. Almost all new modules supports scripting/high level languages (Python, Java, even C++) and has built-in TCP/IP stack. In my opinion it will be cheapest solution. Look for wavecomm, telit or siemens GSM modules. I think, even simple processing of data could be done inside GSM module.

Best Regards AK

Reply to
AK

In article , a_simple_code writes

You can't afford Lunix for this.

If all you need is serial in and TCP/IP out what the hell do you need an RTOS like Linux for? Whilst Linux is "free" for the SW (watch costs for time to get it all working) I suspect that you could do your system on a small micro with very little memory. It will cost you quite a lot per unit for the HW to run Linux and the app.

I am sure there are some FREE TCP/IP stacks around ( see

) so you won't need an RTOS as well.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

This omits some further estimates: Development machine OS (Some version of Windoze) = $500 Cost of down time when it crashes (yearly) = $2000 Cost of auxiliary anti-virus software = $70 Yearly cost of maintenance of above = $50 Risk of MS theft (allowed per EULA) = ???

not to mention that the MS support largely consists of "reboot. If it doesn't work reload".

And try getting source for the suspected system from MS.

CBFalconer

XP Professional from NewEgg $279

My experience with XP home over last year < $700

Free with Comcast Cable Modem service $0

$0

Cost of Installation time and search for IDE > $700

Cost of time to learn yet another OS and figure out exactly where all the configuration files are hiding > $7000

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

IDE, what for ?

Which is about the same time & amount it would cost me to learn to use the Windows operating system. You should have learned the right OS right away...

(I just *love* these kind of discussions, let's discuss Vi vs Emacs and Gnome vs Windowmaker after this!)

Reply to
Philippe

The modules are pretty good. For a cheap dev kit try sparkfun.

eval kit - quad band module with python and gps

rs232
usb

camera to plug into module

Using a telit module

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

To waste some time in most click-through-it way?

If you plan to start it, this is my vote for Vi. ;)

M.

--
Windows could be an OS. You might as well build a tank with 16 lawn
mower's engines and a bucket.

Or win one for free:

Reader offer : Win this product

*** Three Compact GPRS GPS Developer Packages to Give Away *** win a fast-track positioning solution bundled with access to the
server

Regards Meff

Reply to
Meff