Cortex M3 with FreeRTOS

Is it a good idea to have Cortex M3 + FreeRTOS combo? Haven't heard of an discussion about Cortex M3 here lately.

Henry

Reply to
henza

Will CM3 and FreeRTOS support your needs? If so, it's a great combination.

I am using FreeRTOS on an LM3S6965. Rumor has it that NXP is working on a somewhat-officially-supported port for their forthcoming CM3 parts. Other ports exist.

Reply to
larwe

If you need additional features look into uC/OS-II from Micrium. If this is non-commercial then you can use it for free and they have a CM3 port available on their site.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

FWIW - the latest V4.8.0 release has some improvements to the CM3 port. Some legacy and now redundant code was removed and some instructions re-ordered - both of which give good performance improvements.

V4.8.0 is available from SourceForge, but not yet mentioned on the FreeRTOS.org site because I have not had time to update the WEB site with the documentation for the new features (trace macros, new API functions, stack overflow checking). The WEB documentation updates will not actually take long - the OpenRTOS manual has already been updated - its just a matter of finding a gap in the scheduler to do it.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org & http://www.FreeRTOS.org/shop
17 official architecture ports, more than 5000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

I should have pointed out that if you upgrade to the V4.8.0 then you will have to update your startup file to add in an SVCall handler. You can use the demo applications included in the V4.8.0 release for an example. If you don't do this the kernel will not start!