CORTEX M3 BOOKS.....WTB

Anyone have paper books on the Arm Cortex M3 for sale?

Thanks

Reply to
justme

Why would you want to buy paper books? You can download plenty of electronics app notes for free. There is no better way to learn uC other than datasheets and actual codings.

Reply to
linnix

I already have lots of documents/data sheets on the device and am happily reading them now both on the computer and an e-reader.

I was hoping to find Joseph Liu's book on the Cortex M3 but with all of my other data, I am not about to buy a new one.

Btw, I got a TI eval kit and it is far and above the other kits. It is 69 bux and I wish that I had several more.

Did you ever get another kit?

Joe

Reply to
justme

Linnix,

I even have Liu's book in pdf format but my reader will not skip around pages like I am sometimes wont to do. I have to sequence each page with a button push.

I am also on the lookout for a much better e-reader.

Joe

Reply to
justme

Yes, I played with the TI and NXP M3. But upon customer request, i got everything PIC. Chips, modules, programmer/debugger, etc. I brought so many PIC stuffs that even the microchip rep called. We are almost done with the hardware with USB host. Will need to run TCP over USB with ADB.

Reply to
linnix

The only one I'm aware of is Joseph Yiu's book, the cheapest price listed on Amazon is around $35. Go for the second edition if you can.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

Thanks, that's what I am looking for, Anders. Do you like the book? I have heard pros and cons, as usual.

Joe

Reply to
justme

I think it's quite alright. If you already know the ARM architecture there's parts you'll probably skip or skim through, but it does a good job of explaining new things like the Thumb-2 ISA and the NVIC. There's not that much difference between the editions, but the second one does cover some developments since the first one like the CMSIS standard. In any case, if you're looking for something in paper format then short of printing out the architecture reference manual this book is pretty much your only choice, and I think it's the more readable option.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

Okay, thanks, Anders.

Joe

Reply to
justme

Often times a well written book can help to understand what data sheets, application notes and sample code imply but do not express explicitely. Problem is many books are not well written...

But I agree withe the recomendation to read sample code. Look at the libraries supplied with common development boards, application notes with sample code, etc.

My copy of IAR installed ~51000 files / 700 Mbytes under arm\Examples,

138 Mbytes under arm\examples\ST\STM32F10x (Cortex-M3) alone. Many files are duplicates, (same demo customized for different boards,) but still there is a lot to learn.

It would be worth to install an evaluation copy of IAR EWARM for this alone.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Okay and thanks, Roberto. I will look into IAR per your suggestions. I totally agree with you about a well written book shedding more and brighter light that the data sheet in many case.

Joe

Reply to
justme

Linnix, it sounds like you are well entrenched in your endeavor. Many times, I have wanted to explore the PIC stuff but there is only so much time.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

Reply to
justme

Personally I found PIC's to be horrible. I think this was a PIC32 (It's been a while) but they were publishing misleading specs 5 or 6 revisions into the design on the ADC along with bugs in the DMA engine. I then tried a PIC 18F2550 and I didn't like it either.

My experience is limited though.

Cheers, Ze

Reply to
Nicholas King

=A0I

e are

renched in your endeavor. =A0Many

PIC24 is no PIC18 or PIC32. We don't need ADC or DMA for the current project yet. Our main problem right now is software; namely, ADB stuffs. Microchip is supposed to have something in couple of months, but we don't have months to wait. I think we have all necessary docs for it, just need to implement it. If they have something better, we will use it.

ADB (Android Debug Bridge) is PXP (Point multilpleX Point) pipes over USB. I got the USB enumeration working, but stuck on transaction timeouts.

Reply to
linnix