Controlling 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller.

Hi,

I am designing a 8051 microcontroller system. It has ports for interfacing. How can I control a 230V 100W Electric Bulb using 8051 microcontroller ports?

In essence, how do we control high voltage applications using 8051 microcontroller?

Sincerely, Srinivas Nayak

Reply to
Srinivas Nayak

For a one off? Solid State Relay perhaps.

Reply to
Dennis

microcontroller?

With a lot of care... :-)

First of all, I would not say 230 V is 'high voltage'. Second, I suspect you should learn first the basics. An EE course might help you.

Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

g.

rts?

ontroller?

rocontroller.html

In short, you connect a digital output pin of your microcontroller to the relay circuit input. The relay is needed to provide an insulation from the (high) voltage.

Reply to
Lanarcam

If you don't already know how to do it an EE course won't tell you.

A _technician's_ course will show you how, but not why, and it won't help you (much) in selecting parts that will last through the ages.

The EE course _plus_ the technician's "how-to" is what you need if you're going to do this all the time.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

microcontroller?

Use something like this:

and connect the 8051 to the remote switch.

Reply to
Herbert Kleebauer

If you need to ask, the answer has to be yelled:

YOU CAN'T, AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO TRY.

Seriously. That's a potentially lethal voltage you're talking about. As in: get this wrong and odds are you'll KILL someone. So don't go there.

microcontroller?

We do it with knowledge acquired by intensive, professional training, or get someone with such training to do it for us. Neither of which can be had from conversations on the internet.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Lethal *power* anyway 8-)

I am always amused to see "High Voltage" warning signs on electrical equipment because high voltage isn't necessarily dangerous. With enough amperage any voltage can kill, but it's well know to police and security forces that the tiny 50KV stun guns (don't know the amps) are fairly useless ... they can startle a person and maybe hurt them but they are very unlikely to incapacitate - the professional ones now are

1-2MV.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

That's just being picky. The aim of high voltage signs is to keep people away from things that can harm them.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

microcontroller?

In the USA low voltage is anything below 600 V, in the rest of the world (IEC) low voltage is something below 1000 Vac or 1500 Vdc.

In reality, you have two options:

  • run the 8051 and associated peripherals, such as switches and potentiometers close to ground potential and use some means, such as a relay or optoisolator to drive a TRIAC at mains voltage.
  • Let the 8051 float with the mains voltage close to the TRIAC gate potential, but please remember, any interfaces, such as switches and potentiometer shafts must be certified for at least 2500 V isolation voltage, depending on national standards.
Reply to
upsidedown

microcontroller?

hamilton

Better just to say "electrocution danger", which is correct without being misleading.

I *am* being picky, but I don't appreciate the continual dumbing of society. The majority of people already are uninformed/misinformed enough as it is without deliberate misinformation being spread - even with good intentions - by those who know better.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

What the OP didn't specify, and what everyone else so far has failed to ask, is what sort of control does he want over this 100W lamp. Is it simple on/off control or does he require an element of dimming?

The dimming control requires a little more effort to properly synchronise the pulse control of the Triac. Then there is filtering to consider.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

But by your argument, you should be looking at Joules not Volts.

Reply to
Bill Davy

Op Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:26:23 +0200 schreef Bill Davy =

:

ler

.

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma:  =

http://www.opera.com/mail/
(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Right --- but the catch is that high voltage is quite necessary to be dangerous. I.e. first the voltage has to be high enough, and only _then_ there needs to be enough current available at that voltage to cause severe harm.

You try killing someone with 10000 A at 1 mV. Good luck.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Well, if _that's_ the kind of fight you want to pick, I hereby anoint you EWHWCEPDPBGIkW/h (Engineers of the World's Holy Warrior in Charge of Eradicating the Plague that is: Devices' Power Being Given In kW/h.). After all, it's better to pick a fight that there's still a chance you might win.

;-)

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

interfacing.