Connect to database?

Hello all,

we will in the near future start developing an embedded application which will connect to the rest of the world using IP. In addition to several other things, the application will be able to sense various external asynchronous events like keypresses etc.

We would like to log these events in a database which is running in an "ordinary" computer somewhere else in the IP network, and that's what I would like some input on.

I have tried to google for information on this subject but all I came up with was about embedded servers. What I would like to know is how complex it will be to connect directly to a (say MySQL) database from the embedded application and do the database inserts. If any of you have done something similar I would like to get some info on what code size to expect.

As of now it looks like we will be using a controller with ARM9 core, so I assume we have the needed horsepower and memory address space(!)

--
Torbjørn Heltne
AM Elektronikk AS

The UNIX (including Linux) computers usually have a logging daemon running and listening to an UDP port. Would it do the job?

On the controller side, UDP is much easier to implement than full-blown TCP.

Been there - done that (last time with an ARM7TDMI)

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Some sort of a daemon was the other option I was thinking about. If there is such a beast already I will certainly check if it can be used. Which daemon is it you're thinking about?

That's my understanding, yes.

Did you use an OS w/IP-stack?

--
Torbjørn Heltne
AM Elektronikk AS

For a great deal of flexibility and easy compatibility, use a syslog protocol. It is supported by many freeware programs on most operating systems. Basically your embedded application sends messages to port 514 on the remote computer. The specs are in RFC3164 and RFC3195 on the ietc.org website. A good freeware utility is available on

scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

The UNIX computer end runs the syslog daemon at UDP port 514.

For details, you could start at:

.

Kind of - just my own quick thread switcher. All of the code on the controller (including Ethernet and TCP/IP) was written from scratch.