CompactFlash endurance check

Hi group

I heard rumors that's possible to read out how many times a given CompactFlash was written to. I haven't found out how to get this information out of a card yet. Does someone know ?

TIA

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

In article , Markus Zingg writes

The IDE "Translate sector" command (87h) apparently allows you to do this. The spec says

This command allows the host a method of determining the exact number of times a user sector has been erased and programmed. The controller responds with a 512 byte buffer of information containing the desired cylinder, head and sector, including its Logical Address, and the Hot Count, if available, for that sector. Table 46 represents the information in the buffer. Please note that this command is unique to the CompactFlash Storage Card.

It's on p88 of the standard CF spec which I got from the Sandisk website, I can email you it if you like.

I haven't ever used this command myself.

--
Tim Mitchell
Reply to