Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

Does anyone have a source (or design) for a CF reader with a SPI interface?
An alternative would be a card that had at least 256M Bytes of SDRAM.

The SPI interface on this card would be configured as a slave.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

CF is quite fast but transfer speed will be decrased by SPI. That's why it's
better to use MMC cards,which can work without problems with SPI bus.

Dominik Domanski
d_domanski@NO_SPAMtlen.pl

Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

I certainly recognize that SPI is going to limit the transfer speeds
possible. The advantage to SPI is that it is available. The other
possibility from my perspective is a high speed serial port (SPORT, not a
UART).

I want to interface to a DSP where I don't have a parallel data bus
available.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

Ah, Blackfin.

You might consider using a PIC? There are a number of CF designs (hardware
and software) floating around for a PIC (e.g.
http://www.armanet.com/schematic.pdf ). You might slightly adapt one of those
and the SPI interface on the PIC. You'd have to proxy the various I/O
operations (with some intelligence) between SPI<>CF. [Replace PIC with
AVR/8051 depending on personal preference.]

    Andrew

Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

I looked at MMC/SD cards for the first time today. These cards are
incredibily easy to interface with a SPI port. I guess I will probably
forget about CF cards.

I also was referred to a part (Fatfile) that Saelig (www.saelig.com)
sells that alloes SPI to IDE and other interfaces.

Thanks for all the comments.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

You also minimize the amount of extra circuitry that you need.

That's neat: ARM not PIC.

    Andrew

Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

Close, actually SHARC.

I thought of this idea as well but I think I would probably use an FPGA
instead just to make the interface fast. The advantage to CF is that it
can be much faster than MMC. With a SPORT, I can transfer raw data at
50Mbit/sec.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
Re: Compact Flash (or SDRAM) to SPI interface

Yes, I should have read your website first.

When I used CF cards I found quite a wide variation in the (write) speeds:
ultimately you are dependent on the controller on the card.

    Andrew

Site Timeline