Combining ELF Files

I'm trying to generate a single symbol table from two .elf
executables.

My code consists of a section of boot code and a section of
application. The application is linked with the boot code but loaded
seperately.

The problem is caused by the WR VisionIce/VisionClick debugger which
erases previous symbol tables when a new one is loaded - Symbol tables
are generated form the elf files by WRs convert utility.
So I can only debug my code with one or other set of symbols.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
TW

Re: Combining ELF Files

I think having two symbol tables at a time is going to cause problems - what
should the debugger do when you ask for a breakpoint at "main", and it
appears in both tables?  When I've done similar debugging (using gdb), I've
had the main application symbols loaded normally.  When stepping through a
system call, I simply switched symbol table to the boot code table.  On
exiting the call, I switched back.

Re: Combining ELF Files

There's only one main().

VisionClick has no ability to "switch between" symbol tables. You have
to reload the symbol table file.
I would prefer not to have to interrupt my flow to spend 30 seconds
manually load a symbol file.

Cheers
TW

Re: Combining ELF Files

Earlier you said your application is somehow "linked" to the firmware.
The way you're doing that linking step is where you should investigate
further.  With a bit of luck, you should be able to actually link the
two together by the linker of your compiler toolchain, which *should*
also generate a single, shared symbol table for both.

Re: Combining ELF Files

Thats what you'd think isn't it? And indeed you could do this with the
previous COFF version of the Green Hills tools. However it can't be
done with the newer ELF version (according to GH)

Cheers
TW

Site Timeline