Combining ELF Files

I'm trying to generate a single symbol table from two .elf executables.

My code consists of a section of boot code and a section of application. The application is linked with the boot code but loaded seperately.

The problem is caused by the WR VisionIce/VisionClick debugger which erases previous symbol tables when a new one is loaded - Symbol tables are generated form the elf files by WRs convert utility. So I can only debug my code with one or other set of symbols.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers TW

Reply to
Ted Wood

I think having two symbol tables at a time is going to cause problems - what should the debugger do when you ask for a breakpoint at "main", and it appears in both tables? When I've done similar debugging (using gdb), I've had the main application symbols loaded normally. When stepping through a system call, I simply switched symbol table to the boot code table. On exiting the call, I switched back.

Reply to
David Brown

There's only one main().

VisionClick has no ability to "switch between" symbol tables. You have to reload the symbol table file. I would prefer not to have to interrupt my flow to spend 30 seconds manually load a symbol file.

Cheers TW

Reply to
Ted Wood

Earlier you said your application is somehow "linked" to the firmware. The way you're doing that linking step is where you should investigate further. With a bit of luck, you should be able to actually link the two together by the linker of your compiler toolchain, which *should* also generate a single, shared symbol table for both.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Thats what you'd think isn't it? And indeed you could do this with the previous COFF version of the Green Hills tools. However it can't be done with the newer ELF version (according to GH)

Cheers TW

Reply to
Ted Wood