Cold Heat Solder

Anyone out there try one of these?

http://www.coldheattools.com

I haven't heard too much about them and would like
some feedback before I buy one.  Generally, the
reviews on the web say good things.  I mostly do
simple PCB boards (wirewrap).

Cheers,
Rich

Re: Cold Heat Solder
Hah!!! Well, I know enough from just superficially looking at their web
site.
How long will those batteries last (for real?). Appears to me like one of
those seeming like fancy and nice-to-have tools, but eventeually they'll end
up in a drawer, gathering dust! Stick to wire wrapping when it comes to
one-off projects.

BCNU

Waldemar

Re: Cold Heat Solder

I don't want to replace wire wrapping... I just want a better soldering
iron for sockets and components.

Cheers,
Rich

@hotmail.com says...

Re: Cold Heat Solder

I've heard that they do a decent job for soldering small things together,
like for example two thin wires. But they cannot handle larger things, and
I expect they'd have trouble heating up a device enough to wick the solder
into the holes. I personally am staying away from the devices.

-Michael

Re: Cold Heat Solder
I bought one.

It uses an electric arc between two (apparently) ceramic-type posts.  It
worked great for tinning the ends of wires.  They state you must make a
contact between the two posts and the item you are soldering.  Not too
difficult on larger items but maybe not practical for smaller items.  Their
claims of it's cooling down after use in seconds is very valid.  I tinned a
pair of wires then shut it off and touched the ends.  While it was still
mildly warm, it was by no means hot.  You could certainly throw it back into
a drawer without risking setting something on fire.

The question about lifetime of the batteries is valid, also.  I haven't used
it enough to tell yet but it would appear to use a lot of current when the
arc is present.

It will probably serve as an emergency iron but will probably not get used
that much.

Dave

Re: Cold Heat Solder

Thanks for the info.

Have you used it to solder anything on a PCB board, sockets, etc?

So far, looks like I'll pass.

Cheers,
Rich

says...

Re: Cold Heat Solder
See also the repsonse from Mark Borgerson.

Since this (apparently) uses an electric arc, I don't think it would be
practical for any sensitive electronics applications.  I might use it for
mounting headers, sockets, or connectors before electronic components are
mounted (but usually I mount them in the opposite order:)  )  I'd even be a
little concerned that if sensitive components are mounted on a board prior
to the connector, that using this tool on a connector might inadvertantly
induce a destructive current on the trace being soldered through a component
it was attached to.  I don't know that for a fact, though.  It seems since
the heating method is through an arc, it would be something akin to inducing
a static charge on an input... sometimes very destructive.

It will still be good to use for everyday tasks like tinning leads, cable
work, and non-critical applications like non-electronic automotive work.  It
would be good in this kind of an application because of it's portability.

If you need something for critical electronics work, though, you'd probably
be much better off getting something better suited to the task.

Dave

Re: Cold Heat Solder
says...

I found this on a web site describing the cold heat soldering iron:

"The one caveat to using the iron is that if you touch its two prongs to
different leads of a sensitive component like a chip, you could burn out
the component. "

That would certainly limit the tool's utility for me.

Mark Borgerson

Site Timeline