Codewarrior vs. Cosmic C for Freescale 9S08

I think you've made a very clear point. There are only two ways to make a consistent and reliable method of matching file names. You can make sure that every file name also includes information about its locale, and that every computer in the world which uses files has access to a complete set of rules about how upper and lower cases are to be matched in every locale, or you can have simple, direct bit-for-bit comparisons with a total disregard for what the bits may mean to humans. Guess which makes most sense?

It's not hard to write lower case "c" and "h" as file extensions. It is neater and easier to read filenames that are predominately small letters (that's why small letters were invented - they are easier to read).

Reply to
David Brown

Hi,

I've used Cosmic C compiler for compiling programs on the MC9S08AW60 HCS08 family ) and codewarrior C++ too. Codewarrior C++ gives you ful graphical IDE with features to port code onto your S08 MCU but with Cosmi you need to find another software to download code or flash it. You migh try WinIdea to debug the code .It depends on your requirements. If you ar not fond of graphical IDEs which do the job for you, you might try Cosmic otherwise, you might try metrowerks. You might want to refer which compile is efficient with respect to your requirement . Do you need source leve optimizations? You can check with the vendors to know more about thei features or read their Compiler / linker manuals .With Cosmic C you hav to compile your code , the old fashioned way. Compiler , link and use mak files . Then find your Elf or IEEE-695 binary image for final download ont your MCU. Codewarrior does all these for you in an IDE but it costs a lot. Cosmic C compiler is almost the standard in automotive softwar development for Automotive ECU's .It has strong support for Freescal Microcontrollers. Many of them use the Freescale's S08 and S12X family o microcontrollers.

Hope this helps, Regards, Amit Malyala

Reply to
AmitMalyala

Thanks Amit. We are going to use CodeWarrior. I tend to like the command line/make file way of doing things, but I think most of the other developers would like the graphical method. As far as the cost goes, I think IAR is the most expensive, followed by Cosmic C, then CodeWarrior (because of some pricing arrangements).

Although I have used Cosmic C before and like the compiler, the Cosmic "system" seems to be disjointed. The debugger seemed strange to me compared to others I have used. And I understand there are other people who make debuggers for Cosmic C. And having to require the use of make files would require education for the other developers (althtough I think it would be a better approach).

CW is working "OK" for now, but I am having some trouble learning all about it. It is sometimes like an adventure game to find information about the compiler and debugger (mostly the debugger). But, it looks like we are going to have to make CW work for us. Thanks to all for their comments.

Lou

Reply to
Mr. C