CodeSourcery is now a part of Mentor Embedded

That was the title of the email that turned up in my mailbox this
morning.  I must have missed the news of the initial acquisition.

"Our customers stand to benefit the most from this move as both Mentor
Embedded and CodeSourcery share a synergistic vision around our
commitments to open source tools and technologies."

Maybe it's just my inherent distrust of people willing to unironically
use the phase "synergistic vision", but I suddenly find myself
pessimistic about the future of both the CS tools specifically and,
given how much they were drivers behind embedded GCC, GCC in general.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

Re: CodeSourcery is now a part of Mentor Embedded

Time will tell.  If they stray far enough away from the GCC model,
someone else will follow their (old) lead and pick it up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

What makes you think gcc in general will suffer with that kind of
"synergetic vision"  between Mentor and CodeSourcery ?

So far gcc is GPL'ed so the code remains our own not under CS or even
worse under restrictive Mentor licences.

Ironically, many technical managers in different companies complain
about that kind of alliance (free software -- profit business) but they
  are not inclined to open they own code so far (arguing fact that using
gcc does not implies you are in the obligation to open the code, ok ok ...)

Real question : gcc needs CS ? for my own CS <--> Mentor we will see the
future of CS ...

Re: CodeSourcery is now a part of Mentor Embedded

Actually, Mentor acquired CodeSourcery some time ago - and CodeSourcery
has continued to release new versions of its tools, in all editions
(free, low-cost, high-cost with support), and for different targets.
And the CodeSourcery developers have continued to contribute to gcc.

For the CodeSourcery staff, this is probably a good thing - it will give
them a more stable economy.

For Mentor, it must be a good deal - they've acquired some of the best
talent in gcc and library coding, and can make sure that their gcc-based
products (including all their embedded Linux stuff) have the best
development team.

In combination, it means things like CodeSourcery support for Mentor's
debugger hardware.

For CodeSourcery users, it may mean more Mentor branding in the
toolchains (though I have seen no sign of that so far).  But it's not
going to be a big issue - after all, the code is almost all open source.
  Theoretically, it could also mean changes to the pricing models - but
I think it's unlikely to cause big changes, due to competition from the
likes of Code Red and free gcc packages.

As for how this will affect gcc development, it all depends on how
far-sighted Mentor's management is.  But as far as I understand it, the
CodeSourcery group within Mentor is being run by Mark Mitchell, who ran
CodeSourcery before and is a major name in gcc development.  Maybe
they'll get even more time to work on the coding now that Mentor can
handle the non-technical aspects of running the company.

I don't have any worries about CodeSourcery or gcc with this news.  And
if the worst were to happen, gcc is all open source and could continue
without the CodeSourcery people (though they'd be missed).

Site Timeline