Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers. - Page 3

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

We also had to convert from 133/6/8 to 133.33 *mentally* and 24.737
to 24/14/8 and three farthings as well. Mental calculation in base 960.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

I've heard that in England, they spend a semester learning to make change,
but weights and measures are done in a day (metric). In the US, it's the
other way around.

Well, before they decimalized the pound.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
snipped-for-privacy@example.net says...

It took me a while to get used to their FSF[*] system.

Ten ounces to the pound?

[*] - Furlong Stone Fortnight

--
  Keith

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
snipped-for-privacy@example.net says...

Brits?  Me?  Ok, I do currently live in New England, but...

--
  Keith

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15
Dec 2004:

Yes. Very cheap, snow leopards are. And very light.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

The ounce (Acceptable in a former cat), along with the eland (England
lost no good deer), the lynx (Girl with sexy beast), the ocelot (Weird
alien cool cat) and a few others, is a member of the Crossword
Menagerie, beasts only ever seen in cryptic crosswords, and a sign of
desperation on the part of the setter.

Paul Burke

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Very few people these days would recognise 'U' as meaning 'acceptable'.

OTOH, no-one has yet mentioned the cause of pricking of thumbs.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

By the thumbing of my prick
Something wicked! Coming quick!

Paul Burke

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

Good one! Why are mountains (well eminences anyway) always measured in
feet in the UK, but yards in the USA? And why were horses' prices always
quoted in guineas? Why haven't men cottoned on to millimetres as a more
impressive unit of penile shortness?

Paul Burke

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

And why isn't Mega-meter (Mm) used more?
It is a very useful unit in the modern world where we travel long
distances.

USA is 5Mm from coast to coast, Paris-Beijing is 10Mm, my country is 1.6
Mm from north to south, the equator is exactly 40Mm long, etc..

--
Roger J.

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Are they? My one US-made map doesn't agree with you. The furlong, of
course, is a unit of length very close to 200 metres.

Because the guinea is a much older unit of currency and was always a
gold coin (AFAIK). The heights of horses are measured in hands, of
course, a unit of approximately 100 mm.(;-)

Why not zoctometres?
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
I read in sci.electronics.design that John Woodgate < snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.cont
'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16
Dec 2004:

Because it's a typo for yoctometres.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

I've always seen mountain heights and altitude listed in feet in left
pondia.

In the US they're listed in $, often M$.

Why not "hands" like horses?  ;-)

--
  Keith

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

? I've never seen mountains measured in yards in the US. Feet is the
usual, though I have seen feet and meters.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

Here in leftpondia yards are normally used for foot/swimming races
(under about 1 mile/1500 km) and naval gunnery ranges AFAICT.
Mountains and altitudes get feet.  For most internatinal purposes,
such as records, meters become supreme, even in the US.

A few obstreporous types measure automobile fuel consumption in
acres, or more conveniently, picoacres.  I have a machine that
consumes between 15 and 20 picoacres.

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Clever: volume/distance = area.

Reminds me of specific piezoelectric sensitivity;

volts/meter divided by newtons/sq. meter = voltmeters/newton

Can't be right, because voltmeters weren't invented in Newton's time.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich The Philosophizer
g>) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.',
on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

No, we kept avoirdupois long after dismalization. In fact, we are still
getting people prosecuted for selling potatoes in pounds instead of
units of 454 grams.

I don't know whether the kids are taught hexadecimal or '16 ounces = 1
pound'.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

When it's not 14. Remember the table on the back of school exercise
books that began "2 glasses - one noggin"? Fortunately nobody ever asked
me to convert the Yorkshire Woollen Ell to centimetres.

Paul Burke

Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.
tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:
Well, it's 114 cm, give or take a small amount. But there are other
ells: one is almost exactly 99 cm.
Re: Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

Hmm. thats a deal! is 100 all you have in stock! :)

Site Timeline