Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

Not in the same ball-park.(;-) There are five known nickels, but there is only ONE known 1952 English penny.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I've heard that in England, they spend a semester learning to make change, but weights and measures are done in a day (metric). In the US, it's the other way around.

Well, before they decimalized the pound.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

From the side thread, it sort of sounds like that should be, "_the_ genuine 1952 English penny." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

It took me a while to get used to their FSF[*] system.

Ten ounces to the pound?

[*] - Furlong Stone Fortnight
--
  Keith
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich The Philosophizer wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

No, we kept avoirdupois long after dismalization. In fact, we are still getting people prosecuted for selling potatoes in pounds instead of units of 454 grams.

I don't know whether the kids are taught hexadecimal or '16 ounces = 1 pound'.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich The Philosophizer wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

I was careful to say that only one example is KNOWN. I believe there are alleged to be up to five more out there somewhere. They were not issued in Britain, but in the then British islands in the Caribbean.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Brits? Me? Ok, I do currently live in New England, but...

--
  Keith
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Keith Williams wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Wed, 15 Dec 2004:

Yes. Very cheap, snow leopards are. And very light.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

The ounce (Acceptable in a former cat), along with the eland (England lost no good deer), the lynx (Girl with sexy beast), the ocelot (Weird alien cool cat) and a few others, is a member of the Crossword Menagerie, beasts only ever seen in cryptic crosswords, and a sign of desperation on the part of the setter.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

When it's not 14. Remember the table on the back of school exercise books that began "2 glasses - one noggin"? Fortunately nobody ever asked me to convert the Yorkshire Woollen Ell to centimetres.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Good one! Why are mountains (well eminences anyway) always measured in feet in the UK, but yards in the USA? And why were horses' prices always quoted in guineas? Why haven't men cottoned on to millimetres as a more impressive unit of penile shortness?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

And why isn't Mega-meter (Mm) used more? It is a very useful unit in the modern world where we travel long distances.

USA is 5Mm from coast to coast, Paris-Beijing is 10Mm, my country is 1.6 Mm from north to south, the equator is exactly 40Mm long, etc..

--
Roger J.
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Burke wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Very few people these days would recognise 'U' as meaning 'acceptable'.

OTOH, no-one has yet mentioned the cause of pricking of thumbs.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Burke wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Are they? My one US-made map doesn't agree with you. The furlong, of course, is a unit of length very close to 200 metres.

Because the guinea is a much older unit of currency and was always a gold coin (AFAIK). The heights of horses are measured in hands, of course, a unit of approximately 100 mm.(;-)

Why not zoctometres?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Well, it's 114 cm, give or take a small amount. But there are other ells: one is almost exactly 99 cm.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Woodgate wrote (in ) about 'Circuit that produces a tingling sensation in the fingers.', on Thu, 16 Dec 2004:

Because it's a typo for yoctometres.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

By the thumbing of my prick Something wicked! Coming quick!

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

I've always seen mountain heights and altitude listed in feet in left pondia.

In the US they're listed in $, often M$.

Why not "hands" like horses? ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

? I've never seen mountains measured in yards in the US. Feet is the usual, though I have seen feet and meters.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Here in leftpondia yards are normally used for foot/swimming races (under about 1 mile/1500 km) and naval gunnery ranges AFAICT. Mountains and altitudes get feet. For most internatinal purposes, such as records, meters become supreme, even in the US.

A few obstreporous types measure automobile fuel consumption in acres, or more conveniently, picoacres. I have a machine that consumes between 15 and 20 picoacres.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer