Chip to turn on/off various circuits

Hi all,

I have a battery powered device that has three exclusive circuits, and to save power I want to be able to control which circuits are on. Can anyone recommend a chip or point me in the right direction to an IC that can be used to control the power to up to 4 circuits. Currently I'm using a couple of PNP transistors but I would like to free up some I/O ports on the PIC.

Thanks Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

7HC138 ?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Sorry - forgot to mention that it has to supply up to 100mA @ 5V

Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

Then a 74HC138 + PChan FETS

James

Reply to
eepoke

Two possibilities here: - either the "7HC138" (with no 4, so not 74HC) is some kind of power controller I don't know about (Google did throw up a few links, but from their context, they *look* like typos) - or you're talking about the 74HC138, which is a one-of-eight decoder (with enables). Which makes no sense. It's not a latch, and is not a power driver.

So: huh?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Re-reading that carefully (as one sometimes does *after* one presses the "send" key):

Ah. If the OP really means "exclusive" in the sense of "only one at a time" (I'd taken "I want to be able to control which circuits are on" rather more literally), then I see your point. However, he'd still need 3 control lines (2 address, 1 enable), as opposed to 4.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

If you can switch the low side, TI has some nice DMOS open-drain power shift registers that allow you to switch 8 lines per chip using a few port pins. Essentially an HC595 with a N-channel MOSFET on each Q output.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry, I should have said "control which circuit is on".

I have solved the problem anyway - I've put an extra latch on my portb bus and am using that to control the shutdown pins on a few LP2985 LDO regulators.

Thanks all, Ross

Reply to
Ross Marchant

Ross Marchant scrobe on the papyrus:

Look at the Allegro UDN2987 or for an addressable latched version the A6259.

John B
Reply to
John B