Cheapest object sensor on the market!

Hi all...I need the cheapest possible object sensor on the market to embe it onto a circuit board, any range between 100mm to 0mm, even a touch o pressure sensor which ever is cheaper. CapSense from Cypress is a perfec solution for my application because of its size, would not have been fo the price ($1.40). Is any one knows of a cheaper solution and that i would not need a micro controller. I do not need a long life sensor as i is a disposable kind of product.

Reply to
raedarrar

The design constraints would be satisfied by a bit of wire that's pushed onto a solder pad, so perhaps there are unstated considerations?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

embed

perfect

it

even integrate it on or print it on my circuit board, My project is to no to pass a total cost of $1 (Sensor, cheap Liquid Cristal display, coi Battery with a hight not more than 3mm. I need a product that last only 3 hours of use. Low life sensor, whichever would be the cheapest solutio (touch, reflective, capacitive or photosensor).

Where should i found one or may be how to do one on the circuit board.

Reply to
raedarrar

If you are looking for a low-life sensor, you will find that many humans have one integrated. Perhaps you could find a dealer in surplus humans and salvage them for parts?

You need to clarify just what the hell you mean by an "object sensor" if you expect any useful help.

Reply to
larwe

If you mean buttons, then the cheapest solution is rubber w/ conductive base. Rubber buttons are approx. 25 cents. The contact points are on the PCB, using uC debouncings. You also mention LCD, which would be difficult to do without uC or a dedicated controller.

Reply to
linnix

How about the crude touch-sensors from early tv remote controls (think

70th)?

These where just two electrodes (part of the PCB) and a very simple analog transistor-circuit that measures the presence of body-resistance.

Won't work for users with gloves on, but it will be cheap for sure.

Nils

Reply to
Nils

What are you trying to measure ?

Reply to
donald

Any thing moves or waves in front of it, in my case to detect hands.

Reply to
raedarrar

If you mean buttons?

No, i will use a smart card type size, thickness can go as hight as 3m max.

Any idea on a solution?

Reply to
raedarrar

What are you trying to measure?

I am not trying to measure a distance, but want to detect a hand or finger when it comes within 50mm to 100mm.

Reply to
raedarrar

Can you detect change in lighting?

Reply to
linnix

Thanks Nils, as I will try your advice once i ran our of the other option as touch would be my last one.

Do you have another option (not touch) as cheap as the one above tha detects within 50mm to 100mm?

Reply to
raedarrar

I only need to detect the presence of a hand! if detect change in lightin maybe in a situation where a changing in room lighting might get i conflict without the presence of the hand, how would i control it in orde not to happen?

Reply to
raedarrar

You can detect rapid change in lighting, or even temperature if the finger is close enough.

Reply to
linnix

You are not telling us what to do with the hand wavings. If you are using it to turn on the device, false triggers (room lighting changes) might not matter. If you are using it to count votes, then it does matter.

Reply to
linnix

Devices like motion-sensitive toys use an AC-coupled circuit triggered by a change in the resistance of a CdS cell. It's very cheap, but will be triggered every time the lights in a room are switched off and on.

Reply to
larwe

Google "digital theremin". With essentially a schmitt-trigger inverter and a few passives, you can create a capacitance-based circuit to detect the approach of a body part. But it is fairly difficult to design one that is tolerant of voltage and temperature changes. Easier with a micro. TI also has an app note on doing this with an MSP430F20xx, which is very cheap in large quantity - well under your price target.

Reply to
larwe

Ok, great! which would be the cheapest solution?

Reply to
raedarrar

Probably not. The OP wants $1 total BOM. Lets figure 0.25 for PCB,

0.25 for LCD, 0.40 for LCD controller. The uC needs to be less than 10 cents.
Reply to
linnix

Every time the device detects object in this case hands or fingers, i nee it to count votes as long as its on. any advice?

Reply to
raedarrar