Cheap PAL programmer?

Hello from Gregg C Levine I am looking for a cheap PAL programmer. We need to "burn" a few new PAL chips for a board that we built for a customer about ten years previously. Back then we supplied the logic tables, and the blank chips, and a service bureau burned those blanks for us. However, during the time that has passed that shop has folded, and we want to delete the middle firm, and do this ourselves.

We now understand that PALASM has become essentially public domain software, and have downloaded the bits for the purpose of creating the code to be burned to the chips, but that's all we have so far. Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net "This signature currently is aboard the Enterprise NCC-1701E. someplace."

Reply to
Gregg C Levine

Back then

those

and

You will need to specify the devices, as not all cheap programmers program all SPLDs..... The better programmers, can also vector test the PLDs after programming...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Back then

burned those

and

software,

burned to

Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine Pardon me. The original board used PAL16L8 family members. PAL16L8, and PAL16R8, as a matter of fact. Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net "This signature currently is aboard the Enterprise NCC-1701E. someplace."

Reply to
Gregg C Levine

Back then

those

and

Zeltek's Superpro Z is probably as cheap as you'll find:

Another issue you're going to have to deal with is the scarcity of the parts themselves. Over the years I've had to requalify numerous 16V8 and 22V10 parts as different vendors dropped them. You might look at ICT:

They only do little PLD's and IMHO they do them well. Nice software, some nice zero power parts, and the parts are eraseable and reusable.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You might look at moving the designs to GAL devices (16V8) which would probably satisfy both sets of equations and cut down on your bill of materials a bit. Also easier to find GALs nowadays as well as programmers for them. Atmel has a nice selection in various form-factors and speeds. For the programmer, I'm pretty happy with the Needhams EMP-11 for a low volume "lab" programmer.

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb