Cheap Microcontrollers

Hello there, I'm looking for a very cheap microcontroller indeed. Pric point is under 0.35 USD, quantities of 50-100k for first production runs Application is an RGB LED controller that accepts color information ove asynchronous serial communication. I crammed that in an attiny11 prett easily, but Atmel is discontinuing that model and replacing it with th

2-3X as expensive attiny13! While it's nice that the attiny13 has alot o fun peripherals, all I really need is a moderately fast (2-4MIPS) cpu cor and a handful of I/O. I've been trying to get some quotes from the majo asian companies, Winbond, Sonix, Elan, but getting a response from them i like e-mailing with a fencepost. It's like these companies don't even wan to make a sale. So now I find myself turning to the online community fo advice and suggestions.

Also, is it possible to get manufacturers to supply dies for chip on boar manufacturing? I bought some cool RGB fading leds that incorporate som sort of controller into the 5mm LED package, and it would be cool if w could do a similar thing.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide?

Reply to
Zach_G

PIC10F? 0.46 qty 3000 at digikey, in a SOT-23-6 package...

?name=PIC10F200T-I%2FOTTR-ND

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Talk to Atmel direct..... 100K is big enough to call the shots....

Reply to
TT_Man

Yes, but they are cautious in doing so, as the testing/handling is more complex.

Not on a 35c part.

Known low-cost (50c and below) parts are :

C8051T6xx from SiLabs RS08 from Freescale PIC10Fxx series from Microchip

and a couple of devices from here :

look to have low price potential

UniChip 1.0 is a 6 pin 2K EPROM uC,

and the Atom GC49C51G0 has small package (So8), and comes in a mask variant GC41C51G0.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

In article , DJ Delorie writes

Don't be silly... on 50-100K quantities he needs a proper disci. Not a catalogue disti

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , Zach_G writes

Talk to Atmel and distributors like Arrow

One to 20 off parts you get from digi, maplin, marshell, RS, Farnell etc The price is in the catalogue

Once you get over a couple of thousand the cost will depend on

1 Number of parts you want

2 How much business you normally do with the silicon dist (past, current and projected)

3 How much other business the disti's rep has on at the moment.

4 Availability of the parts

5 If the silicon company or disti is having a push on the parts for some reason

2-3X as expensive attiny13! While it's nice that the attiny13 has alot of fun peripherals, all I really need is a moderately fast (2-4MIPS) cpu core and a handful of I/O. I've been trying to get some quotes from the major asian companies, Winbond, Sonix, Elan, but getting a response from them is like e-mailing with a fencepost. It's like these companies don't even want to make a sale. So now I find myself turning to the online community for advice and suggestions.
/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

Well, duh. I don't have access to large quantity channels, so I can only point to digikey as a reference, and showing the digikey bulk cost at least shows that it's far cheaper than other chips, close to his price range, and something to investigate. It also provides a link to the datasheet, so he can see if the chip meets his technical needs.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

He should really check with the right distributor. Digikey might have

24K of them. When they are gone, he might not be able to get any more. Would you design for 100K based on digikey alone?
Reply to
linnix

Boy, I'm just not communicating today.

I referenced digiket because *I* *CAN*. Not because I thought he should go through digikey. He shouldn't, I agree. It was just a convenient way for me to link to info about the chip, and reference my reasons for thinking it might apply.

OK?

So stop implying I'm dumb for thinking he should buy chips from Digikey. I don't think he should, and never did.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

In article , DJ Delorie writes

The Digi price gives no indication on pricing on 50-100K from a "proper" disti. You can always do deals. I NEVER give the price of silicon. There are so many variables.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

Oh give it a break. He just posted the Digikey price to indicate they are in the right ballpark and should be investigated further. T

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In case that quantity is not a one time buy but a yearly volume you can also contact Arrow or TI directly and see if their MSP430F2001 fits the bill and could be negotiated down to $0.35. If you need a contact let me know.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That's a strange claim - "no indication" ? - so you are saying it could be MORE than the digikey price ?!?

What about the Chip Manufacturer press releases - are they also 'no indication of pricing' ?

Freescale's press release says this : "Suggested resale pricing for 10,000-piece quantities starts at 43 cents (USD)."

( for this family DigiKey mentions 43.2c/2500 )

Microchip's press release mentions "49c/10K PIC10F200"

Digikey might take issue with "proper" disti comment :)

So, with the right care, you can see Digikey's price actually shows a very good correlation with the Chip Vendors press release claims.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

*No* indication? Seeing one part that costs $5.00 in-stock Qty=1K and another that costs $0.50 in-stock Qty=1K doesn't give you any indication at all about what the Qty=100K from whoever has the best price will be?

To the OP: Elan/EMC, WinBond, and SunPlus are the lowest cost parts if you ever get into real high quantity production instead of a measly 100K parts. And yes, they all sell bare dies that you connect through wire bonding.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Often that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Remember TI before the MSP430F2xxx series where they touted "starting at $0.49"? Yet the cheapest MSP430 device to be found anywhere on their site at that time cost $0.99. Ok, one could say that's only a 3dB difference ;-)

Indeed. I use Digikey as a default for three purposes: They have the best search engine to find parts, way better than Mouser and Newark. Next, their 1K pricing is a pretty good tool to find which parts are the better deal. Then we usually buy the parts for the first 10-20 units there so I log their P/N along with the mfg P/N as I find the parts. Saves a lot of time for my clients.

Mouser and Newark could do better if they fixed their search engines.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'd call that one the 'mask creepage effect' :)

If companies have mask variants, they can often be a lot lower in price, but they will use 'from XYc' to hook customer interest. Another point if favour of Digikey - removes the 'marketing license with english' that often occurs.

Still, it could be FPGA prices, which are completely 'not of this world' : where they quote the projected price for 250,000 pcs, end of 2008 !?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

It backfires. With me TI did not get a single design-win with the MSP430 to date. Either the performance wasn't there (not enough timers and/or CCR, usually) or the analog solution cost a lot less.

The architecture that scored best in terms of sales with me was, ahem, cough, the 80C51 family.

.... stated in 1956 Dollars so it looks better :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yup. In a recent design we even used Bipolar SOT223 power devices, as they were cheaper than MOSFETS, so there are plenty of 'legs' in even old-analog these days.

No surprise there ;) The Silabs C8051T60x do seem to be the first foray into sub 50c 80C51's

CoreRiver have a new 4 bit ATOM family [very] 'Reduced 8051 Architecture' but I've not seen prices yet on that.

If Silabs can hit 46c with a 2K/256R/PCA/UART device then the much simpler GC49C501G0 with 1K/64R should be a lot cheaper (one hopes?)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

So Digi is the Recommended Retail Price. This is not the same thing as the price from a disti.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I presume you meant resale, not retail ? No one has mentioned retail, and 2500pcs is not a retail column.

So, if Freescale say Resale price is 43c/10k, and Digikey have

43.2c/2.5k, what price DO you expect from your disti (who is, guess what.... a reseller!) ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville