CF+ modes confusion

I have been trying to interface a compact flash card to a host system usin a CPLD. I have a confusion regarding the possible modes of 3 operation o these cards. By design standards , I would like to know that whether w have host systems CF interfaces (say a PC CF interface) which can rea different types of CF card modes, be it memory, I/O of True IDE. O whether a compact flash card is capable of being read in any mode, and it the host interface which has the limitation of a particular mode.

Suppose , a CF+ card is inserted in the host CF interface, how does th Host know whether its an CF memory card or a CF card with an IO devic (like wifi). In short, how does host determine which mode to choose ??

Kindly help me to proceed,

Harshit

Reply to
harshitkhaitan

Most storage cards implement both memory mode and IDE mode. I/O cards implement both memory mode and I/O mode.

Wifi cards handle I/Os as well as the 1K memory buffer. Namely, you have to hook up all the signals.

Read the attribute block and registers, or the IDE enable pin.

Reply to
linnix

It depends on the host interface. If the host ONLY supports storage devices, it may implement the port in True-IDE mode, which can't support I/O cards.

Otherwise, see the PCMCIA spec.

Reply to
larwe