CF / IDE

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post, but you guys do seem to have a wonderful depth of knowledge.

I've interfaced to Compact Flash (CF) cards before but only within a 3.3V system. From the CF spec, it states that all CF cards should work with both

5 and 3.3V supplies. Is this really true? Can I power my CF card at 5V? If I power it at 3.3V, will its IOs be 5V tolerant?

Next, with CF you can use just a byte wide data access. Is this the same for a standard IDE drive?

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
GP

have

both

for

Well I think I've answered the 5V tolerance part. The spec does say that the vltg on any pin wrt GND must be < Vcc+0.5V. So, at Vcc=3.3V, Vio must be

Reply to
GP

I don't know about the latter question, but I've run CFs at 5V with no trouble.

Not for any modern drive. They don't support the set 8-bit-bus command. Only a few very old, very small drives support XT-IDE mode.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Yes, we power our CF drives at 5V.

It would be better to level-shift them.

No, most IDE interfaces, including ours, ignore the 8 bits signal line.

snipped-for-privacy@ide-cf.info-for.us

Sales for IDE-CF flash drive