CF card at IDE port: Removable drive !?!

Hi,

have a CF card connected to an ide port via passive adapter. XP reports "removable drive" and refuses of partitioning the drive.

How to make it a "fixed drive/hard disk" again?

Best regards Juergen

Reply to
Juergen Marquardt

Which is rather obviously true. It doesn't get much more removable than that, and even though there's no rotation involved in this CF card, by virtue of its interface it _is_ a drive.

So use something else than XP to do it.

I doubt you can.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

The first two bytes of the IDE Identify information for a CompactFlash card are a signature (848Ah) designed to tell hosts that this is a CompactFlash card. I would guess XP is making its "removable" decision from this information.

If all else fails, use a Linux boot disk to partition the drive manually. Then use XP to format it if you wish.

Reply to
larwe

Reply to
Rocky

Where to get this SanDisk utility?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen Marquardt

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

CompactFlash

the

Is there any other place to download this utility?

We could not find it in SanDisk website. We also emailed to oem but ther is still no response.

Can anyone send it via email if you have this utility.

Reply to
ercan

Warning, it only works on Sandisk cards AFAIK. The file you need is atcfwchg.com or ndcfwchg.com according to which microcontroller is in the card, and it is not permissible to distribute this material (was made available under NDA).

Reply to
larwe

FYI ALCON, there's a brief discussion of the CF "fixed disk" issues at .

We ended up using CF cards from Silicon Systems to host XPE and have been pretty happy with them. Can't say the same for XPE but that wasn't my choice ... ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to