Ceramic capacitor failure

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 2:21:30 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

gned. These are 1206 22uf 10V ceramic caps, we do not specify a manufacture r. The caps are on the output of a 3.3V 1amp 2MHz dc to dc converter (5 amp inductor 2.2uH), there are two in parallel. They become resistive, around

200 ohms. The ripple current is around 0.4 amps total, so I cant see that i t is excessive ripple current, they are not near mounting holes so I cant s ee mechanical issues, and they initially pass test but fail in the field. H eating the cap does not have much effect on the resistance.

't

the cap of flux residue and tried heating and fault stays. It measures 186 ohms, another cap reads 400 ohms. Only one of the two parallel caps fail ( Both same part) and no other caps fail (Different parts and smaller). I hav e looked for ceramic cracks and cant see any but I am not sure if I would s ee them even if they were there!

, Rises in 10ms to 3.3V as expected

n parallel, both with very little resistance. The equivalent resistance is half the resistance of a single cap. With the failure, no matter how high i s the resistance of that cap, the equivalent resistance is still less than the resistance of the single good cap. Is it not enough? I suppose you use two caps to double the capacitance not lower the resistance. btw, 47uF/10V at 1210 (B size) tantalum is quite common. Is it not enough? Too expensive? In this case I bet you can find poscap capacitors these days with better r esistance (in fact VERY low) and probably less expensive than tantalum. Har d to say though if less expensive than two ceramics of this size.

When the caps fail the load current of the board in sleep mode goes from 20 uA to 5mA, hence batteries go flat. When I remove the two caps board curren t returns to 20uA. If I measure the resistance of the caps one is high impe dance, and one around 186 ohms.

Reply to
steve

te:

signed. These are 1206 22uf 10V ceramic caps, we do not specify a manufactu rer. The caps are on the output of a 3.3V 1amp 2MHz dc to dc converter (5 a mp inductor 2.2uH), there are two in parallel. They become resistive, aroun d 200 ohms. The ripple current is around 0.4 amps total, so I cant see that it is excessive ripple current, they are not near mounting holes so I cant see mechanical issues, and they initially pass test but fail in the field. Heating the cap does not have much effect on the resistance.

sn't

ed the cap of flux residue and tried heating and fault stays. It measures 1

86 ohms, another cap reads 400 ohms. Only one of the two parallel caps fail (Both same part) and no other caps fail (Different parts and smaller). I h ave looked for ceramic cracks and cant see any but I am not sure if I would see them even if they were there!

er, Rises in 10ms to 3.3V as expected

in parallel, both with very little resistance. The equivalent resistance i s half the resistance of a single cap. With the failure, no matter how high is the resistance of that cap, the equivalent resistance is still less tha n the resistance of the single good cap. Is it not enough? I suppose you us e two caps to double the capacitance not lower the resistance. btw, 47uF/10 V at 1210 (B size) tantalum is quite common. Is it not enough? Too expensiv e? In this case I bet you can find poscap capacitors these days with better resistance (in fact VERY low) and probably less expensive than tantalum. H ard to say though if less expensive than two ceramics of this size.

20uA to 5mA, hence batteries go flat. When I remove the two caps board curr ent returns to 20uA. If I measure the resistance of the caps one is high im pedance, and one around 186 ohms.

I would suggest you contact the capacitor manufacturer. They are intimatel y familiar with the various failure modes of the caps and can likely provid e you with some insight.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Thanks will contact manufacturer, have found the part fitted is AVX 12103D226KAT2A

Reply to
steve

Dasly no response from AVX so still none the wiser!

Reply to
steve

03D226KAT2A

I seem to recall it took a while to get a reply. It looks like it has been two weeks which is the outside range I would expect to hear a response. T he manufacturer of the part I asked about was Kemet and they replied in... oh, seems it was two days. So I guess AVX is not as interested in respondi ng. Oh well... it was worth a try.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit