CANOpen implementation

Hello
I'd like to know the following.
1. If I've to implement CAN Open stack for a CAN compliant device,
what are all the things I should consider?
2. If I make a device CANOpen compliant, does that also include the
device profile?

Thanx in advance

Gautham

Re: CANOpen implementation

sorry, my page is only in German but maybe you will find it usefull
or maybe somebody likes to translate it...
http://home.t-online.de/home/janvi/can.htm

Re: CANOpen implementation
Look at this link:

http://www.port.de/engl/publicat/can_literatur.html

Greetings from Germany!
Ralf

Re: CANOpen implementation
Hi Gautham

No, you can order the specifications at
 <http://www.can-cia.org/services/order.html
As you can see, they are not free, but of low cost compared with other
standards. The most importand is CiA DS 301 (Version 4.02) for ¤65,00.
You get them _all_ for free, if a member of CiA.

No

There may be some open source implementations. But be aware that
implementations using these packages may not pass the CiA CANopen
conformance test. The may be also limited in support for microcontrollers
and CAN controllers. Can you please tell us what your target hardware will
be?

The CANopen conformance test only checks for the CANopen communication
Profile, not for profiles with indexes at 0x6000.

Best regards
  Heinz
--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Re: CANOpen implementation

You can also buy some very good books, which contain the standard and some
more info. Look at their online shop.

Michael
--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Re: CANOpen implementation
Hi Gautham,

About a month ago we updated www.MicroCANopen.com to be CANopen
compliant and the example provided passes the CANopen conformance
test. It is available for free for educational purposes.

HOWEVER, please note that as it is, MicroCANopen only supports
pre-configured, hard-coded nodes. That means that all communication
specific settings (which Node ID is used and which Process Data
Objects are used and how) are hard-coded.

As soon as you want to build a plug-and-play configurable device, I
would highly recommend to go with a commercial CANopen solution.
Either buy a commercial source code or use a CANopen protcol chip or
module such as www.CANopenIA.com

More links:
http://www.CANopen.us
http://www.esacademy.com/myacademy (CANopen online classes)