CANOpen implementation

Hello I'd like to know the following.

  1. If I've to implement CAN Open stack for a CAN compliant device, what are all the things I should consider?
  2. If I make a device CANOpen compliant, does that also include the device profile?

Thanx in advance

Gautham

Reply to
Gautham

sorry, my page is only in German but maybe you will find it usefull or maybe somebody likes to translate it...

Janvi

Look at this link:

Greetings from Germany! Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Neuber

Hi Gautham

No, you can order the specifications at As you can see, they are not free, but of low cost compared with other standards. The most importand is CiA DS 301 (Version 4.02) for ¤65,00. You get them _all_ for free, if a member of CiA.

No

There may be some open source implementations. But be aware that implementations using these packages may not pass the CiA CANopen conformance test. The may be also limited in support for microcontrollers and CAN controllers. Can you please tell us what your target hardware will be?

The CANopen conformance test only checks for the CANopen communication Profile, not for profiles with indexes at 0x6000.

Best regards Heinz

--
with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

You can also buy some very good books, which contain the standard and some more info. Look at their online shop.

Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Hi Gautham,

About a month ago we updated

to be CANopen compliant and the example provided passes the CANopen conformance test. It is available for free for educational purposes.

HOWEVER, please note that as it is, MicroCANopen only supports pre-configured, hard-coded nodes. That means that all communication specific settings (which Node ID is used and which Process Data Objects are used and how) are hard-coded.

As soon as you want to build a plug-and-play configurable device, I would highly recommend to go with a commercial CANopen solution. Either buy a commercial source code or use a CANopen protcol chip or module such as

More links:

(CANopen online classes)

Olaf Tutor at ESAcademy

Reply to