Can I do it?

I want to install Linux in the CF card? What imformation can I get ?

Reply to
wellhot

You need information about how to install linux. :)

If say seriously, you can use IDE2CF "device" it's can show CF like IDE disk.

Reply to
artem

Basically, take instructions for installing Linux on a floppy disk, and use those instructions to pare down your Linux distribution small enough to fit the card.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

"artem" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain ???...

I had installed Linux on a floppy. But, where can get the IDE2CF's circuit diagram!

Reply to
wellhot

There is really no need for a circuit diagram as such. Most Compact Flash to IDE adapters that I have seen are simple "signal to signal" mappings with a few power supply bypass capacitors thrown in for good measure. By tieing the appropriate pins to the appropriate supply rails the compact flash device will power up into "True IDE" mode where it presents an IDE interface. Then it's simply a matter of mapping D0 on the compact flash socket to D0 of the IDE pin header...

To my knowledge to claim to be compliant with the compact flash spec all memory devices must support True IDE mode (it's a different story with say a bluetooth interface module in the form factor of a compact flash card).

I don't know where you can find a nice schematic for such an adapter, my suggestion would be download the compact flash specification from their website and have a look at it's pin description table. In the specification there is a table specifying which pin match up to the applicable IDE signal, and the requirements to get the device to power up into such a mode.

Now it is also possible to get compact flash to IDE interfaces which are a bit more "smarter", i.e. support hotswaping of devices (assuming support by OS etc), or for 5 and 3.3V devices etc etc. But I havn't had experience in those sorts of interfaces.

Probably the easiest way to install Linux on a compact flash device is to go out and buy a commerical compact flash to IDE adapter card, plug it into your IDE bus of your computer and install like normal.

One thing to be on the look out for though is to not enable a swap partition, or make sure it's enabled on a ramfs filesystem (or equivalent). You don't want the device swapping out to your compact flash card :-)

Thanks, Christopher Fairbairn.

Reply to
Christopher Fairbairn

Thank you very much. ^(^ I will try it do my best!

"Christopher Fairbairn" ??? news:rT5pb.5542$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz ???...

specification

by

go