can an AVR generate a RS-232 signal with a VCC of 5V?

Hi - I would like to interface a AVR with a 9 pin com port on a computer. Can an AVR generate valid RS-232 signals with a vcc of 5V? Or do I need one of those Maxim serial level converter chips? Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

computer.

one

There's 3rd party clones of the MAX232 that do equally well. I frequently use the ST232, which is available from most distributors.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Turk

one

If you use a software UART you can get the correct polarity signals. They only swing from 0V to +5V, but that is acceptable to most PCs. I tried this once, and it worked OK.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon_heller@hotmail.com

Also if you're really cheap you can use a not gate on the hardware uart. Don't forget to put a resistor + 5V zener on the RX side.

It works ok in some situations.

computer.

this

Reply to
Brett

"Brett" writes:

Cheap?? For extra cheapness, leave out the zener. The RX gate input protection diodes will swing into action and take it's place.

In fact, that series resistor looks a bit extravagent too.... RS232 is current limited already, after all :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

And I've tried it a dozen times: it works Wade Hassler

Reply to
Wade Hassler

Most of RS232 drivers can accept TTL levels, but not all of them.

I used to think that it always works, until I encountered the PC from Dell (can't remember the particular model). That was the first occasion.

I was burned the second time with the RS232 drivers from SIPEX. Those drivers are switching to sleep mode if the input voltage is inside

+/-3V. So, if you drive them from TTL, they tend to sleep down and that may cause different problems.

Vladimir Vassilevsky, Ph.D.

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Me, too. It's under 1 Euro (Dollar) in single quantities and only needs 100nF capacitors (like the MAX232A ;-)

Jan-Hinnerk

Reply to
Jan-Hinnerk Reichert