Camera on RS232 =? Micro-USB module + WebCam

Hi,

I recently saw a Micro-USB module on Dontronics's web site

Appearently it convert RS232 to USB and vice versa.

Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC? (I do not need high speed or high resolution images)

Reply to
Kouso Wieaka

No. Because Micro-USB module and a webcamera are both USB devices, and you would need a USB host.

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

Does anyone make a USB host module? I couldn't find one the last time I looked.

--
sig goes here
Reply to

Kouso Wieaka napisa³(a):

Lsg

Take a look at the CMUcam, it already outputs serial and may fit your needs.

I've not used this product, but it resembles some designed-in-house camera boards I've used that worked rather nicely.

Later, Daniel

Reply to
D Herring

In message - Vadim Borshchev Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:12:19 +0100 writes: :>

:>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:31:19 +1000, Kouso Wieaka wrote: :>

:>> Would it possible (how) to use this Micro-USB module con connect and an :>> off-the shelf USB webcam to a micro controller such as ATMega or PIC? :>

:>No. Because Micro-USB module and a webcamera are both USB devices, and :>you would need a USB host. :>

:> Vadim

OTOH, if you need a serially-connected camera, look at the Wincam Live from StarDot technologies -

I've had one for ages, and did a port of support software to OS/2 - StarDot was very good about providing specs, protocol information etc.

-Derek

Reply to
Derek J Decker

The STV0680B chip from ST that is used in numerous cheapo webcams has an RS232 interface, although not for tethered video. You may have to dismantle a webcam and add a RS232 driver.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton