Caller ID chips?

Hi, all

Can anyone suggest an IC to decode Caller ID in Australia?
Or a good description of the CID so I can try to implement it myself on a
micro.

Thanks,
Rudolf

Re: Caller ID chips?
I cetainly dont intend to hurt you feelings Rudolf, but we dont even know
how to get that shit here, in the states.

regards,
clark

Re: Caller ID chips?

I thought caller ID in the US was just a 1200bps Bell 202 chirp after
the first ring?  Capturing that shouldn't be too difficult.

Re: Caller ID chips?

know

AIUI Australia uses the same technique as the US.  It works basically as
you described.  It uses 1200Hz and 2200Hz mark and space tones.  The
data is ordinary ASCII 8N1.

It's not.  The hard part is interfacing with the phone line.  The
easiest way to recover the data would be to use something like a MX614
modem chip.

A few months ago I was tinkering with a phone line powered caller-id
project.  I was able to decode the information using only a 16F628, a
couple of transistors to "square" up the tones, an LCD for display,
misc. passives and some fairly convoluted software.  It was more a
matter of seeing if it could be done rather than to implement something
practical, but then many of my projects are like that.  ;-)  The whole
thing drew something like 4mA generously provided by my local CO.  ;-))

Re: Caller ID chips?

Utter crap. We do too.

It's a Bell-202 FSK modem signal between the first and second
ring.  Last time I checked a Bell-202 modem chip was about
$0.25 from TI or Motorola.

Here's a nice doc on the format:

http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/A95/projects/jjblome/info.htm

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. he dominates the
                                  at               DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.

  I used the MOT145447 ic to do that. Maybe its now ON145447or dead?

Re: Caller ID chips?

    should have said MC145447, and if you google for this you find
    a reference for HOLTEK. so looks like there is a source for it.

Re: Caller ID chips?

He seems to have a propensity for generating such.  Close to PLONK
state for uselessness.

That is a very nice, apparently complete, one piece reference.

Re: Caller ID chips?

   What that doesn't tell you is that you need to put an AC-coupled
600-ohm impedance across the line during the period you expect to
receive the carrier and data, to match the impedance of the phone
line. It might work without doing that, but it will be more reliable
with it.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: Caller ID chips?

Follow this link:

http://products.zarlink.com/product_tree/1800/1040/1120/index.htm#1120

This company used to be called Mitel.  I think Motorola also used to have
caller id chips.

Good luck,

Mostafa

Re: Caller ID chips?
On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:35:02 +1000, "Rudolf Ladyzhenskii"

google got this
http://www.shout.net/~wildixon/callerid/motorola-mc145447-specs.html
martin

"When all else fails, digitize everything, use fiber optic cable and enter a
whole new realm of problems."

"We won’t use the words Microsoft and reliability in the same sentence."

<Found on the Rane tech pages>

Re: Caller ID chips?

This is a bit rambling, but seems to contain some information:

<http://artofhacking.com/files/callerid/CNDTECH1.TXT

The Aussie CID seems to be on the baroque side.

Paul Burke

Site Timeline