Caller ID chips?

Hi, all

Can anyone suggest an IC to decode Caller ID in Australia? Or a good description of the CID so I can try to implement it myself on a micro.

Thanks, Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf Ladyzhenskii

I cetainly dont intend to hurt you feelings Rudolf, but we dont even know how to get that shit here, in the states.

regards, clark

Reply to
Clark G. Smith

I thought caller ID in the US was just a 1200bps Bell 202 chirp after the first ring? Capturing that shouldn't be too difficult.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

know

AIUI Australia uses the same technique as the US. It works basically as you described. It uses 1200Hz and 2200Hz mark and space tones. The data is ordinary ASCII 8N1.

It's not. The hard part is interfacing with the phone line. The easiest way to recover the data would be to use something like a MX614 modem chip.

A few months ago I was tinkering with a phone line powered caller-id project. I was able to decode the information using only a 16F628, a couple of transistors to "square" up the tones, an LCD for display, misc. passives and some fairly convoluted software. It was more a matter of seeing if it could be done rather than to implement something practical, but then many of my projects are like that. ;-) The whole thing drew something like 4mA generously provided by my local CO. ;-))

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Follow this link:

This company used to be called Mitel. I think Motorola also used to have caller id chips.

Good luck,

Mostafa

Reply to
Mostafa Kassem

google got this

martin

"When all else fails, digitize everything, use fiber optic cable and enter a whole new realm of problems."

"We won?t use the words Microsoft and reliability in the same sentence."

Reply to
martin griffith

Utter crap. We do too.

It's a Bell-202 FSK modem signal between the first and second ring. Last time I checked a Bell-202 modem chip was about $0.25 from TI or Motorola.

Here's a nice doc on the format:

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. he dominates the
                                  at               DECADENT SUBWAY SCENE.
                               visi.com
Reply to
Grant Edwards

I used the MOT145447 ic to do that. Maybe its now ON145447or dead?

Reply to
dont know

should have said MC145447, and if you google for this you find a reference for HOLTEK. so looks like there is a source for it.

Reply to
dont know

He seems to have a propensity for generating such. Close to PLONK state for uselessness.

That is a very nice, apparently complete, one piece reference.

     USE worldnet address!
Reply to
CBFalconer

This is a bit rambling, but seems to contain some information:

The Aussie CID seems to be on the baroque side.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

What that doesn't tell you is that you need to put an AC-coupled

600-ohm impedance across the line during the period you expect to receive the carrier and data, to match the impedance of the phone line. It might work without doing that, but it will be more reliable with it.

-----

Ben Bradley