Cables

Maybe reserve black (or gold or silver) for an 'add 5 feet plus' incremental suffix.

orange alone=3D 30-34 feet. Orange and black - 35 feet up to 39 feet. (usually a 10-15% service loop can be dealt with.) anyway, it would drastically reduce the number of cables you'd need to drag out for an accurate measurement.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Go low tech then - use small handwritten sticky labels and regular clear heat shrink over them. Been doing that for years with labels perhaps 15x25mm and never had any issues at all. You still have the problem that you need to label before final assembly though. Or, more exactly, _during_ final assembly - I find heatshrinking before the connector is fitted squashes flat cables such as FCC68. I wonder, does anyone make a clear self-amalgamating tape?

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

Exactly. The Kroy tubing works fine without a protective laminate. Which just leaves the downside of having to put the label on before the connector -- which isn't always possible.

My first attempts were small, self-adhesive labels with a permanent marker. Easy, inexpensive, versatile. But, the exposed end of the label would eventually lift and then quickly unravel and fall off (leaving a sticky length of cable with no label to be found!)

I then tried wrapping with clear tape. Again, inexpensive, flexible (I could use wide tape, narrow tape, long pieces, etc.). Same "lifted end" problem.

"Printed" labels (from various labelmakers I've had) are no different -- there's an end to deal with.

Shrink tubing eliminates the end problem -- but requires access to the cable before final assembly.

The "label ties" solution appears most workable. Unfortuantely, I didn't have a chance to get out today to chase down a local supplier. Maybe just resort to mail-order and save myself the time/trouble (it doesn't seem like there are many viable versions of this technology).

Reply to
D Yuniskis

If using heat shrink (only really useful if fitted before connectors are fitted) use white/red/yellow/blue heatshrink & write on it with a fine indelible pen. Then fit & shrink it. The ink seems to bond into the shrink plastic as it shrinks - no need for over covering with clear heatshrink.

Reply to
Dennis #1

[%X]

As one who uses the Kroy system I have used both the printable heatshrink tubing and the wrapping tape labels. The latter are white for part length then clear for the rest. The adhesive is very strong and once printed and wrapped around the cable the clear portion overlies the printed white portion as further protection for the printing. Not yet had a problem with them peeling off from the cables (12 years of use). The Kroy materials come in a variety of sizes and styles. I work with cables of all sizes (small two or three pair up to 50 pair) and even when the cables get the identifier attached before being hauled into the runs they remain in place and intact.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

Is there a good system for individual wires?

My Xilinx download cable has neat labels on each wire (I'm not sure what the wire gauge is) but I have not seen anything similar on sale.

Reply to
Tim

Those are probably the same Kroy or Brady self laminating lables. They make different sizes, the smallest is .5" which would be good for small wires. The .75" ones are good for fiber jumpers.

I have seen people use too small of a kroy label on cat5 and have it lift off and gum up, but if you do use a large enough one, I have not seen any problems. In fact, I usually have to cut them off or overwrap the label to redo the labels on them.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre