C++ Training for Embedded Systems Developers

Hi can anyone recommend a freelance trainer who could deliver a C++ for Embedded Systems course for us in the UK ?

Can you also recommend any good text books.

thanks

Sophie

Reply to
Sophie Williams

Hello Sophie,

I would train you if I lived in the UK :-) If you're developers are new to C++ I recommend you use PC-Lint

in your project. It will not teach you how to program but it will check your code for problems. C++ is a mighty language that has some pitfalls if not used correctly. PC-Lint will detect a lot of the typical beginners mistakes and also explains what is wrong with the code. Given its price this is one of most valuable tools I know.

You should also get a copy of the following books. They contain a lot of really useful C++ tipps.

Meyers, Scott, Effective C++, Addison-Wesley, Reading Mass., 1992 Meyers, Scott, More Effective C++, Addison-Wesley, 1996

Yours

- Rene

Reply to
Rene Straub

Take a look at

- I know they do such things.

OTOH, many people (myself included) will tell you that C++ is ill-suited to embedded work. If you really must use it, please at least consider avoiding anything to do with the heap. Similarly you might want to consider avoiding anything that involves late binding.

Steve

steve at fivetrees

I can recommend the feabhas course having been on it as paying customer.

TW

Reply to
Ted Wood

I can agree with that. PC_lint is THE most cost effective tool after the compiler. Also if you start off using it will stop you developing bad habits. You will also learn why things are not a good idea even if the compiler lets them through. This saves you time and decrease the bug count.

BTW you can get PC-Lint from Hitex (

)

Regards Chris /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Niall Murphy writes

They are usually highly recommended. Also they are one of the very few who do c and C++ for EMBEDDED and understand it.

See the book review section of

the best independent set of reviews (over 3000) on SW engineering books and they don't sell books.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

You might also find this useful:

(Embedded C++ project)

Steve

steve at fivetrees

But remember the goal of Embedded C++ is to create a market for vendors obsolete C++ compilers.

Reply to
nospam

You might check out:

Brain Surgery for Dummies

or

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Brain Surgery

Both series are pretty good.

Rufus

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Rufus V. Smith

If you could get high quality deliverables as a result of any single practice I'd be quite surprised. So whats your point?

TW

Reply to
Ted Wood