Building Toolchain for MIPS

Hi, I want to build toolchain for MIPS under cygwin. I am very confused when I configure the binutils. when I search the Internet, I found someone suggested use "--target" option like this:

--target=mips-dec-ultrix4.3

someone suggested use "--target" option like this:

--target=mips-self

I wonder how can I determine which option is the right choice? how to find the detail information about "mips-dec-ultrix4.3" and "mips-self".

Reply to
huxuelei630

If you are using Dec Ultrix 4.3 as your target operating system, then choose "mips-dec-ultrix4.3" as your config target. For a different target operating system (or no target OS), use something more appropriate.

If you are actually trying to use gcc as a compiler for MIPS for professional development, and have no previous experience building gcc, then I'd recommend you head to:

Download the evaluation version of pre-built binaries from CodeSourcery. If you like it, pay the $400 they charge for the service of building, packaging and testing the compiler, library, binutils, debugger and IDE. It will save you time and therefore money, and you can be sure that the CodeSourcery people will get it right since they are the maintainers of the MIPS gcc port (as well as the ColdFire and ARM ports).

If you really want to build things yourself, it's easier under Linux than cygwin. If you are stuck with windows, cygwin makes the builds easier than mingw/msys, but the resulting binaries are faster and more "native" if built with ming/sys.

Look for web pages and tutorials on building gcc for the ARM as well as for MIPS - most of it will apply to both targets, but ARM is more popular for small users and thus there is much more information available on the web.

Reply to
David Brown