Browser Terminal

I'm seeking a terminal that has a browser built in. Here are the requirements

  1. Low power - like seriously low (most terminals I've seen are far too power hungry)
  2. Small LCD, need only be monochrome, backlight is optional. 5.7" diagonal is absolute max. Probably prefer smaller.
  3. Touch screen.
  4. Prefer options for RS232, Ethernet or USB interface.

I would like to use it as a panel mount display for my own embedded system (a data logger) that has a built in HTTP server.

I've looked at - Advantech TPC-642 StrongARM touch panel computer with 5.7" QVGA STN LCD Display - Axiomtek GOT-2570S 5.7" QVGA STN Fanless Touch Panel Computer

But I think I need something that does not run Windows CE, but has an embedded micro browser built in as well as a communications port to interface to my device.

Dave.

Reply to
David Williams

When i used to work for the HRDC kiosks I was involved in building terminals of this type. We decided to skip on the embedded part because it was too hard to maintain.

You want a "small" LCD but many poeple (older poeple) can't read that small of a font. Usually poeple want around 15inches minimum for 800x600 web page browsing.

A company demoed once a PC that was around 2 inches thick and the side was an LCD screen. It had full ethernet, touch capability and everything. I don't remember the name but this was in 1997 (they might still be around). The PC was also fan-less. and was made for wall mounting.

Maby a google search can help you in that respect.

Just remember that having a small LCD might not be a godsend, especially for complex pages or textual layouts.

regards, Andre

Reply to
Andre Bonin

What do you mean by item 4, exactly? What kind of USB interface? I think you'd better forgo that last one unless you want to spend the rest of your life writing drivers.

device.

If it has a web browser built in, it will have an OS built in. That could be Linux, or Windows CE, or QNX, or (...).

Maybe you want to consider the mARMalade product from EarthLCD. It has serial and Ethernet, and is fairly low-power. You can attach a variety of LCDs. Touchscreen controller is provided. You can build eLinx to run on the framebuffer console (which is part of the Linux distro shipped with the mARMalade).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

device.

Thanks Lewin,

That is the kind of answer I was looking for. Does anyone now of similar devices.

I like the fact that someone has already ported Linux and a browser to it!

Dave.

Reply to
David Williams

devices.

There are numerous other similar products. A Palm PDA, for instance. A Zaurus, which already runs Linux. Intrinsyc has several products that might fit the bill, too.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards