Bringing up a PXA250 board

I have built a PXA250 board around the form factor reference design from Intel. So far, I have been able to (1) get a JTAG connection using OCDemon and Wiggler, and (2) flash (and verify the flash) a u-boot boot-loader using openwince and the Wiggler.

I hate to say I'm stuck, but I have not been able to get the PXA250 to do more than 1 step out of Reset-- either from JTAG-reset or hard-reset-- which is a Branch from 0x00000000 to 0x00000060. When I "Reset and Go" from OCDemon I get the error "run_target_from_pc: target bus error (20:11)" which I cannot interpret. This is before initializing anything-- i.e. SDRAM, etc.

I would appreciate any clues or ideas, and I have attached some (possibly) relevant information.

Gordon

A. Board info PXA250 Stepping B1 400MHz 64MB 100MHz SDRAM 4MB Strataflash SDCard Power supply

B. OCDemon data after hard-reset PC: 00000000 SP: FFFFFFFF LINK: 00000054 CPSR: 180000D3 B 060H ! Reset

C. OCDemon data after "Step" PC: 00000060 SP: FFFFFFFF LINK: 00000054 CPSR: 180000D3 MRS R0, CPSR

D. OCDemon data after "Go" PC: 00000060 SP: FFFFFFFF LINK: 00000054 CPSR: 180000D3 MRS R0, CPSR "run_target_from_pc:target bus error (20:11)" appears in the bottom left panel.

and that's all I have been able to do... again, thanks in advance.

gordon

Reply to
gordon

Bus Error means the CPU is trying to access a memory location but nothing is responding. From what you're saying, there's a branch to $60 at location 0. What instruction is at location $60? I'd think that might give a clue.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Thanks, Gary.

Address $60 is in flash, but seems to be readable because it OCDemon de-assembles it correctly. What puzzles me is that the instruction which fails is the "MRS R0,CPSR" which, as far as I know, involves nothing off-chip. Have I misunderstood this?

In the meantime, I have been able to load some other innocuous instructions (not involving the CPSR) into $8000 (also still in flash) that are able to execute in Debug mode; i.e. I am able to step through them.

Do you know anything about CPSR anomolies?

I appreciate your help.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

It might not be the instruction at $60 that is giving the problem, but possibly the instruction after that. As you point out, OCDemon seems to fetch it just fine. Instead of a GO, do another step and see what the registers are. I think the PC should be $0C if it's an instruction prefetch problem, or $10 is it's a data fetch problem. The low 5 bits of the CPSR should be %10111 which means the CPU is in Abort mode. The LINK register should have the address of the aborted instruction +4 for prefetch or +8 for data fetch.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Hmm. The exception stuff I replied with was from an ARM6 manual I had sitting around. Looks like things might be different on the PXA so consult the User Manual on what happens on an Exception.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Will do.

I have experimented with a bunch of different instructions, and the common fail-point is reading instruction from flash with address

Reply to
gordon