Booting Linux from CompactFlash on AT91SAM9260

The AT91SAM9260 appears to include EBI support for CompactFlash, but
the AT91SAM9260-EK development board does not include a CompactFlash
interface.

Assuming I can come up with the hardware, how hard will it be to
develop the U-Boot and Linux driver support required to boot Linux 2.6
from CompactFlash on the AT91SAM9260?

Is this driver code already out there somewhere?

Thanks.

Jim Thomas

Re: Booting Linux from CompactFlash on AT91SAM9260

That depends on your skills with embedded systems
and Linux device drivers. ;-)

Once the hardware is there, it is a matter of configuring
pointing das u-boot to the appropriate memory locations
where the CF IDE registers and buffer space live for
boot purposes. You then config (script) u-boot to copy
the kernel into RAM and have it boot from the IDE
(a.k.a. CompactFlash) drive.

You will also need to do the magic within your Linux
kernel to point the IDE code to the same CF IDE
registers.

This is all pretty easy after its done ;-)

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

Check  www.at91.com  :):)

Karthik Balaguru

Site Timeline