BGW200 data sheet

The BGW200 by NXP is a very low-power 802.11b SiP, available from Digi- key with a 1-off price of about $20. The only documentation I could find on the web was a marketing blurb, even after I bought the damned thing. Finally, after much bitching, I was sent a copy of the real data sheet. If anyone's interested, it's here:

jcomeau_ictx

here:

Thanks a million for posting that! I was about to give up hope I could get anything like that - I had been searching for a few months now.

Where did you buy it? I saw it listed at Avnet, but no stock, and

500 pieces minimum buy quantity (i'll need just 3 or 4 soon for a prototype).

Thanks again,

Dimiter

Didi

here:

I hate to sound negative but where are you going to get firmware and software to drive it? The datasheet doesn't have nearly enough information to write it yourself. It seems you will need *a lot* more support from NXP.

Alan Nishioka snipped-for-privacy@nishioka.com

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

Forget it.

NXP are focused on 1million dollar customers for WiFi. Hence you will not get support!

If this has changed - then I'll be interested again.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Actually it seems it has all the information. There is a register-by-register, bit-by-bit description, so it should be doable.

I'll be able to claim this with certainty after I have done it, of course, there is always room for surprises, but what I see seems enough for me to design the thing into a product.

Dimiter

here:

Didi

But you still don't have the firmware. Please at least get that before investing too much time on it.

I would like you to succeed. It does look like a nice product.

You may also want to check out the module the Gumstix project is using. It has a Linux driver.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

Well I would prefer something which would look just like an MII port to use like Ethernet, but I saw the 802.11 standard and it does not look like such a huge job to implement enough of it to get going.

I am not a Linux user but then the sources might be useful to look at (I keep thinking that but apart from a uuencode/decode thing I looked at many years ago to understand and then implement myself for DPS I never really had to do it :-).

Most importantly, I have at hand a device I _can_ buy and program, which was not the case prior to Johns posting of the datasheet - and I had been looking for one for months (including an ignored NDA application at Marvell).

I wish I could get simlar data on the NXP Bluetooth modules, those BTB203/4 or similar, they do look good. But I would unlikely want to go into firmware implementation for them, the Bluetooth standards are "pay to see" which I generally treat the way one should treat openly hostile attitudes - I don't pay them up.

Dimiter

Didi

And I actually found I believe enough info on these as well. Found some modules which use them, and they seem well documented, well, they include the BWB203/4 AT command set.

I am not sure whether the module will be the better choice rather than the tiny NXP part alone, this is a TBD to me for now.

Here they are: (long URL's, I am posting from Google, may be they will take some rework):

and

The modules are made with the BWB203/4; it comes with firmware from NXP, which leaves the Bluetooth pay-to-see standard issues aside - for now.

Dimiter

Reply to
Didi

Yes,

Theses guys have done all the work (meaning NXP are working with them) and NXP refers small volume customers to ConnectBlue etc.

Regards Joseph

Joe G (Home)

No it doesn't.

I went through the whole datasheet this morning. It documents the DMA and scratchpad registers, which presumably let you communicate with the firmware, but not a word about actually connecting to a wireless network and transmitting or receiving data.

Keep us updated. I'd love to be proved wrong here...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

It will take writing some firmware. I am not quite sure there are enough data to do that, although this is how it looked to me at a 5-minutes glance. Can you say if this looks non-doable to you? I mean did you spot something important was missing which would prevent one from doing it? I'll recheck that again before taking the decision (should get to it this month), but if you already have seen enough to discard the possibility that would be disappointing but only helpful to me.

Dimiter

Reply to
Didi

Impossible from the data in the datasheet.

The datasheet defines the hardware registers for communicating with the module. If you view it in terms of the OSI model, you have layer 1 and nothing else.

Has anyone laid eyes on the alleged Linux drivers that allegedly exist?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That is OK, then. I have some 802.11 standards here so things should be doable. I thought you had found something missing which would prevent me from uploading firmware or the firmware from sending.receiving bits or sort of. Again, I'll double check that before deciding to go this way. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Dimiter

Reply to
Didi