BGA reflow soldering profile

I am having problems soldering a Rohs compliant BGA ATMEL AT91RM9200 (rohs compliant board) This device recommends a soldering profile from J-STD-20 and a minimum peak package temperature of 250 centigrade, peak 260. However a lot of the other components on the board have lower peak reflow temps, such as sanyo poscaps (240), watch crystals and littlefuse fuses (245). These components are very close to the BGA so it appears impossible to meet all criteria. Currently the reflow profile is peaking at 245 but we are seeing around a 1% failure rate with the BGA package with dry joints. I am not sure what reflow we should be using, any ideas and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
sjones

Is it practical to do it in 2 steps:

  1. Load & reflow the BGA, at high temp.
  2. Load & reflow the rest, at lower temp.

More costly, of course.

Reply to
David R Brooks