Better terminal program than HyperTerminal?

Have to talk to a device which does not echo. It works ok but, of course, I can't see what I am typing because HyperTerminal won't show anything unless it's echoed by the device.

Tried MTTTY (from the Raytheon site) and it won't go past COM4 but I need COM6 and COM7. Any better ones out there? Or maybe I should go back to DOS where that stuff always worked, grumble, grumble...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Try ucon from

You can read a little about it here:

or just download it from here:

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

TeraTermPro will go to COM16...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

I should have added that I found it to be a lot easier to use that most anything else I've tried. Most of the others are 'glitsy' to some degree. This one is intended to have the needed technical features, but not fancy unneeded things. It's a straight bullet aimed for COM ports tied to embedded projects.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Tried it, doesn't show what I am typing either :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I tried it and it won't install. Says the readme.txt file is in use (which it isn't). Maybe it doesn't like XP.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That's called "local echo," I think. Which is used when the target doesn't itself echo what you type. It's easy to change. Look under Config/Miscellaneous.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Realterm is pretty good. I believe that it can echo as well.

Reply to
Patrick Dubois

I've installed it on perhaps a dozen different machines over the years, the last few of which are definitely WinXP, so I don't know what your problem is.

And as others have said, you need to enable 'local echo' if your remote isn't echoing typed characters for you.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Give a try to Teraterm, simple and elegant.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Joerg,

for the ultimate serial tool look here:

I am using it since years for all our serial problems and these are lots!

Best regards Ulrich Bangert

"Joerg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:S8Pti.4677$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
Ulrich Bangert

Almost any modern PC development tool with serial component allows you to click together a hypoerterm clone in a few minutes.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Ulrich Bangert schrieb:

I can second (and highly recommend) that.

However, Docklight is only really powerful for sending predefined, fixed strings/sequences. For freely sending "as you type", it is not very convenient. However, for the (rare) cases we need that, we still use HyperTerminal (eventually with local echo if needed).

Tilmann

--
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to

Did you try putty?

putty/). It does all kind of serial and netwerk terminal emulation, and runs on Windows, Linux, etc.

Kind regards, Johan Borkhuis

Reply to
borkhuis

Terminal v1.9b is what you looking for. Yoy can download it from

PGW
Reply to
pgw

I'd recommend Hyperterminal.... yes... Hyperterminal. It *can* show you what you typed, you just need to configure it properly. Same with MTTTY or TeraTerm or almost all other serial terminal software. All of them are configured to disable 'local echo' (for historical reasons). If you refuse to explore the 'options' or 'preferences' of these programs then none of them will work.

So.. use Hyperterminal and turn on local echo. Once you've done that, save the connection so you don't have to do it again (I'd also recommend to save a connection with local echo off for when you want to talk to devices that echo).

Reply to
slebetman

It's worth trying to find out what the problem is here - both because Tera Term Pro is one of the best terminal emulators for such work (there are others that are more advanced, but TTP is reliable, easy to use, and powerful enough for most uses), and because it sounds like you've got something wrong with your system - TTP installation is as easy as it gets.

Reply to
David Brown

Hyperterminal is a bit lol. On a PIC system I developed with pins shared between serial interface and PIC ISP interface if I leave the serial cable connected so Hyperterminal 'listens' to the PIC programming stream from MPLAB Hyperterminal crashes so bad I need to kill it with task manager.

Reply to
nospam

Mark McDougall schrieb:

I'd like to know how ? Mine allows only COM1..COM4 (TTP 2.3)

Reply to
42Bastian Schick

ZOC

does it all.