Best micro family for sig. gen?

Which micro family and chip number(s) is most straightforward and efficient for generation of analogue type signals, ie. sinwaves, arbitrary waveforms, simulated biological signals, etc.

I am an engineer learning to program and need to know the optimal starting point for this type of application, in terms of simplest possible implementation and quickest results.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fisher

This one works well :

mike diack

I've designed a simple PCB for my version of that DDS. Mine uses a proper DAC with a buffer amp.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

A PC playing .wav files through a sound card is the simplest possible implementation and has the quickest results. A MIDE Sampler is another good choice.

(Now comes the part where you start telling us about other requirements that you didn't mention in the question above...)

Reply to
Guy Macon

The quickest way is to buy an arbitrary waveform generator with some kind of programming interface (as opposed to a front panel keypad) and use a PC to control it.

If you don't need the output protection or current drive that a real ARB would provide you can use a DAC card such as those from National Instruments or dozens of other companies. Guy also mentioned using a PC sound card. Not sure if those can do DC outputs but they are cheap hardware.

If you really are in a hurry to build something you need to consider what your time is worth versus purchasing all or parts of the solution (ie ARB card, DAC card, sound card, programming libraries and examples supplied).

If however you are wanting to build something in-house (or in-class) then take the time to write some specs first. As detailed as possible too.

Rob Young

Reply to
Rob Young

It can be a problem to get the right software. Do you recommend anything?

--
Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE           www.eclectic-web.co.uk
Reply to

also look at dsp try comp.dsp