Best micro family for sig. gen?

Which micro family and chip number(s) is most straightforward and
efficient for generation of analogue type signals, ie. sinwaves,
arbitrary waveforms, simulated biological signals, etc.

I am an engineer learning to program and need to know the optimal
starting point for this type of application, in terms of simplest
possible implementation and quickest results.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

This one works well :
http://www.myplace.nu/avr/minidds /

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

I've designed a simple PCB for my version of that DDS. Mine uses a proper
DAC with a buffer amp.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

A PC playing .wav files through a sound card is the simplest
possible implementation and has the quickest results.
A MIDE Sampler is another good choice.

(Now comes the part where you start telling us about other
requirements that you didn't mention in the question above...)

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

It can be a problem to get the right software. Do you recommend anything?

--
Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE           www.eclectic-web.co.uk

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

The quickest way is to buy an arbitrary waveform generator with some
kind of programming interface (as opposed to a front panel keypad) and
use a PC to control it.

If you don't need the output protection or current drive that a real
ARB would provide you can use a DAC card such as those from National
Instruments or dozens of other companies. Guy also mentioned using a
PC sound card.  Not sure if those can do DC outputs but they are cheap
hardware.

If you really are in a hurry to build something you need to consider
what your time is worth versus purchasing all or parts of the solution
(ie ARB card, DAC card, sound card, programming libraries and examples
supplied).

If however you are wanting to build something in-house (or in-class)
then take the time to write some specs first.  As detailed as possible
too.

Rob Young

Re: Best micro family for sig. gen?

also look at dsp