Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

I have a requirement on a new product for a small monochrome
graphics LCD display. (128x64 pixels). There are quite a selection
available from various manufacturers. There seem to be about 3
different controllers that are widely used on these devices. Can
anyone recommend the controller to go for, or alternatively NOT
to go for ?

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

What is your microcontroller ? Changing microcontroller is a option in
your project ? Today several Microcontrolers have a built in LCD
controller in it, what can make the project a lot simple and cheap.

Thanks

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?
On 31 Aug 2004 19:10:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.br (Jose

The MCU choice is not set in stone, but we will need a fairly
compelling reason to switch. The MCU for this portion of the project
is an AVR - Probably an ATMega32 or ATMega64. I know of the ATMega169
that can directly drive an LCD, but I do not think it can drive a
128x64 graphics LCD.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?
Anton,

As it is not set in stone you might be able to look for other
solutions. One solution that has less external components and so it
might be cheaper, but this will depend of your requirements.
I can give my last experience word, we startd using the XCALE PXA255
and when you look at the PCB you just see the MCU and memory, of
course there are a few other components, but they were dramatically
reduced from the previous project.
Less components is cheaper, more reliable, etc..., but, again, it will
depend on your project requirements.
I just want to tell you that maybe you do not need a LCD controler ...

Thanks

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?
On 2 Sep 2004 07:06:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.br (Jose

I accept your point, and if I can find a more cost effective solution
than using a LCD with controller, I would use it. But given that I
will probably use a solution that includes a controller chip, which is
the "best"  ? It seems that most small graphics LCD displays uses
either a chip from Epson, Toshiba or Samsung. From these companies
there seem to be a number of varients. I would appreciate it if could
get some sort of indication of which is the controller to go for.

On a related note. Someone suggested in another thread the new OLED
displays. These look very promising. Can anyone give a supplier which
actualy has a 128x64 (1 or more colour) display available. I found
quite a few companies that seems to be starting with this technology,
but could not find anyone that are actually already manufacturing.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?
... snip ...

A one color display should be quite easy.  It also requires no
power, and no connections to anything. However the contrast is
quite low.  :-)

ITYM 2 color.

--
Some similarities between GWB and Mussolini:
a) The strut;  b) Making war until brought up short:

It is an LED display, hence one colour is enough. The LED is either ON
in the specific colour, or OFF. Even if the material which houses the
LED reflects at exactely the same wavelength at which  the LED emits,
one will still be able to see an image. The contrast can still be
quite high - especially in low light conditions.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

At least Osram Pictiva displays seem to be available. (For a
given value of "available".) At least there are some companies
which claim to sell them (google with "osram pictiva oled").
Even Digi-Key have some displays in the catalog, but probably
not in stock.

The interface seems to use a SSD chip, and with a bit of luck
they are very close to Epson controller chips (at least the part
numbering looks similar).

There should be other manufacturers, as well. However, as the
majority of OLED displays are proprietary designs, the
availability of general purpose displays has not been very
good. Looks like the situation is improving, though.

From the programmer's point of view, there should be no
difference between OLED and LCD.

- Ville

--
Ville Voipio, Dr.Tech., M.Sc. (EE)

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

ROFLMAO. Replacing an 8-bit microcontroller with external LCD
controller by a 32-bit microcontroller, given the LCD res here, is
pretty crazy talk. "Overkill" doesn't even begin to describe it. It's
like using an aircraft carrier to go fishing.

I would look at the MSP430s and the NEC 78K series (the latter are
cheap, but a FIERCE pain in the ass to work with).

By the way, if your volumes are reasonable, consider the ViewTalk ICs
from Winbond, very cheap and they can do 128x64. They are designed to
run toy applications with speech built in. But, I have successfully
used them as "slave micros" to do implement serial-controlled
graphical displays.

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?
Take a look at the Epson SED1335.  It drives monochrome passive
panels, and has in indirect (indexed) CPU bus interface.  This type of
bus makes it easy to interface to a bit-banged GPIO port, or to a CPU
memory bus.

I haven't specifically used this device, but I have used other Epson
SEDxxxx devices and I have found their device design and suport tools
to be straightforward and easy to get started with.

Re: Best LCD Graphics controller chip ?

Thanks,

This is the type of info I was looking for. It seems that the Epson
devices are the most popular with hobbyists, as there seem to be quite
a few projects using it. I will probably go for a display with  their
newer generation SED1565 series device. From a quick scan through
the various data sheets, it looks like they support the highest bus
speed. (166ns per bus cycle).

Regards
   Anton Erasmus